PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Long Tube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by rsmith77
I did the OBX on my H2 SUT with the 6.0L. Looked like great quality, comparable to Gibson and better than pacesetter which are the others I have experience with. They bolted up great, worked through the wheel wells, just jacked up the front and pulled out the plastic inner wheel wells and worked through them. Great access to header bolts. Soak your current bolts daily for about a week with penetrating oil prior to starting. Will make a big difference.

For reference the catalytic converters that come with the kit are really just resonators and have essentially nothing inside them. I have never had a warning light come up and I did nothing to the O2 sensors other than put them in the new pipes.

Sound is awesome, can feel the extra torque (or at least I think I can). If you stand behind the truck and take a deep breath in you can tell there are no cats but other than that nothing gives it away.

Only issue I had was I burned through a spark plug wire due to the path of the header pipes on the driver side. Just replaced it and then put some extra heat shielding in to prevent it from happening again.

Hope that helps.

Ross
Im glad you showed up.
Can you give a link where you got yours, or a P/N?

I found the set on Amazon for $550. I just want to make sure thats the correct ones before I order. Thanks.
OBX Header Manifold Exhaust 00-05 GM Hummer H2 GMC Denali 6.0L : Amazon.com : Automotive OBX Header Manifold Exhaust 00-05 GM Hummer H2 GMC Denali 6.0L : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 02-28-2014, 10:38 AM

I'm originally from east TN where there are no such things as inspections thankfully and now live in West Virginia and they just do a run cycle and make sure no codes show up. So no, we don't do the exhaust sniffer thing.

I did order mine from amazon. Shipping was quick and easy. They don't come with bolts so I got new ones from a local fastener shop. Got stainless and better strength. The factory ones have the reputation of being weak and breaking so I didn't want to put those back in but I guess you could. Pretty sure it came with a gasket for the engine block and remember for sure it came with the ones for the down pipes. You will have to make a EGR block off plate as the headers have a port for them but the hummer does not have one. I just cut a piece of steel to match the flange and used RTV to seal it off. Paint it with high temp paint too. There are two more ports for O2 sensors than my hummer had so I had to get O2 sensor plugs to fill them. Most auto parts stores should have them.

There was another thread about OBX headers with pictures of how they did it here:
H2 OBX Long Tube Header w/ High Flow Cat Install With Pictures - Hummer Forums by Elcova

Hope that helps.

Ross

Old 02-28-2014, 11:29 AM

That is some good info there Ross cause i'm to was thinking of getting headers and ditching the cats all together. Georgia luckily doesn't require any kind of emission on H2's cause they weigh over 6500lbs

Old 03-03-2014, 01:45 PM

Thanks man.
Just wanted to make sure I ordered the correct set.