PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Long Tube Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Default Long Tube Headers

Hey Guys,

I'm wanting to do a full exhaust on my SUT. I was wondering if anyone is running LT headers, and if so, are you still able to use the factory front skid plate? Pics would be great. Also how did you run the Y pipe?

Old 02-18-2014, 05:49 PM

Not sure, I have Shorties.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:57 PM

Ive seen a few write ups for LTs. Im not sure if I can post them here as they are not on this site.
I have decided on getting the OBX kit based on price.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:15 PM

How much are OBX? I know Dynatech run $853, that is stainless

Old 02-19-2014, 12:29 AM

OBX seem to be about $550 ish for headers, cats, and Y pipe.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:49 AM

Isn't the OBX stuff made in China?

Old 02-20-2014, 05:39 AM

OBX basically knocks off the major brands but from what I've read is their quality is actually pretty decent. When I had my 06 GTO the other guys always talking about how their friends with vettes LOVED the OBX due to the price and their quality. No one ever mentioned having issues with bad welds, cracking, etc.

That was the route I was going to go with my GTO considering Kooks were over $1k and you could get a full OBX system with cats for half that price. When I eventually do headers on my 2 I'll be going with OBX.

BTW, probably having them ceramic coated inside and out by a reputable company would be the best bet with them.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:35 AM

I haven't heard anything bad about OBX. You will want to get some spark plug anti foulers for the rear o2 sensors as the OBX cats are straight through. I have heard of guys getting a check engine light because of that. I'm planning on getting the long tubes because my stock manifolds are cracked and the bolt heads are popped off. I checked them out and they run the same route as the stock and will hook up to the stock pipes without shield issues. I'll have to check out having them ceramic coated. My stock manifolds are ceramic coated....if you consider cooked mud ceramic..isn't that what it is?

Old 02-27-2014, 11:39 AM

I did the OBX on my H2 SUT with the 6.0L. Looked like great quality, comparable to Gibson and better than pacesetter which are the others I have experience with. They bolted up great, worked through the wheel wells, just jacked up the front and pulled out the plastic inner wheel wells and worked through them. Great access to header bolts. Soak your current bolts daily for about a week with penetrating oil prior to starting. Will make a big difference.

For reference the catalytic converters that come with the kit are really just resonators and have essentially nothing inside them. I have never had a warning light come up and I did nothing to the O2 sensors other than put them in the new pipes.

Sound is awesome, can feel the extra torque (or at least I think I can). If you stand behind the truck and take a deep breath in you can tell there are no cats but other than that nothing gives it away.

Only issue I had was I burned through a spark plug wire due to the path of the header pipes on the driver side. Just replaced it and then put some extra heat shielding in to prevent it from happening again.

Hope that helps.

Ross

Old 02-27-2014, 05:44 PM

You don't have to run the thing through the sniffer on emissions?

Quick Reply: Long Tube Headers