PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Light bar wiring and new rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Default Light bar wiring and new rack

hey guys,

I just purchased a 62" x 45" rack for the h2

http://www.discountramps.com/cargoIm...ge-rack-17.jpg

https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/7...8039836418.jpg
https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/7...4373170155.jpg

and a light bar, that i dont have yet but should have by monday

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/2/6/3...33479904_o.jpg

im thinking that this setup will be pretty nice with the light centered on the front plate of the rack. i hope that it will be a bright and help out wheeling a bit at night.

What my question is, is what would be the best way to wire it? Im thinking a relay that has the + and - going to it and from it with a switch in it to activate the light.

Also how are you guys running the wires? down the front pillar behind the black piece? I have to take it off anyway to put some foam behind it to help with the air noise so i figured while i had it off, i would run the wires for the light as well.

I will get some pics of the rack and stuff later this week. I have to get some bigger C clamps for my rack. The ones that came with it arent big enough to go around the 4" wide by 1" tall bars.

Thanks,
steve

Last edited by honda400ex2003; 05-08-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:40 AM

You could check my build thread on a couple other forums for pics but yes you are correct. I have a total of 8 individual lights so you can imagine the bundle of wires for all those. The wiring I have running into the corner roof marker light then down the A-pillar trim, it takes some hidden routes under the cowel from there into the engine compartment where all the relays are.

You definitely need a relay. I've seen these bars and have thought about one.

I would have one relay and wiring harness running the center LED's and another relay/wiring harness running the outside LED's.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:43 PM

im hoping that it is all or nothing, on or off. the photo showed only 1 set of wires coming out of the middle of it.

I picked up a relay, switch, wire, a bunch of connectors, and wire protectors to run it all when i get the light. Im hoping it goes pretty smooth, it has been a while since i wired anything up from start to finish but i should be good to go.

Thanks for the info! ill make sure i post pictures of it all once finished. I havent found any pictures of hummers with anything but a gobi or a complete custom rack. I cant afford a gobi and dont have the facilities to build my own right now so this was the next best option, especially at 150 bucks! i have about 80 in extra stuff with the wiring and the stainless equipment for mounting the rack. I couldnt find square u bolts that would work at ace tonight so i had to buy all of the bolts and some flat stock to make my own clamps instead.

steve

Old 05-03-2013, 05:17 PM

yeah keep us updated with some pics also, I'm curious about this light bar myself. I assumed the flood and spot lights would be controlled on a separate switch but maybe not.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:53 PM

will do, im hoping to have it done next week. I didnt get my light today but it should be here monday at the latest with my expedited shipping from hong kong.

steve

Old 05-07-2013, 09:15 PM

lojac i forgot that you posted on here as well LOL

steve

Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 PM

oh yeah, I'm on all the major hummer forums plus 2 forums for my wifes Saturn sky redline......its a lot of work lol.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:38 PM

LOL same here, i am on atv forums, snowmobile forums, this one, lifted trucks usa, and some other ones for laptops.

busy busy sometimes just keeping up on what is going on. I moved in december so i dont get on them as much as i used to. dish network internet sucks haha

steve

Old 05-08-2013, 09:49 PM

Got my lights and rack on tonight! finally... what a project haha i had bolts that were too short, so i had to go get 3.5" ones, then got home and the shafts didnt fit into the holes on my plates. I got to drill all of those out bofore i got the rack on.

it came out great though, i kept all of the wire that i had extra and just wrapped it up a bit on the rack. other than that, the light is perfect.

Super bright, you will be able to tell which pics have it on and which dont.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

really a good purchase, I have about 400 total in wiring, the rack, light, and bolts.

Steve

Old 05-08-2013, 10:48 PM

oh wiring finalization as well

12 gauge from the battery to the relay, then up to the light. ground for the light is 12 gauge as well.

I have a small switch inside with an LED red light to show that it is on. all of that wiring is 16 gauge wire. 2 powers and a ground. the relay ground is a 16 gauge as well. I used looming on everything to protect it, it is the twist on type. i started with 10' worth of it, i used about 2 feet of corrugated as well that i had in the tool box. All of the external stuff is twisted, the corrugated is from the relay to the firewall inside.

i ran the wires through the edge of the front fender by the battery, up the pillar, and out through the marker light. the wiring for the switch went through the fire wall in an existing hole that the previous owner had amp wire in. I pulled the amp wire out and ran my three wires through it instead. i didnt find any easy access holes otherwise. i didnt want to slit the main boot to run them through. I had it outside running through the front door and it looked tacky imo so i changed to to how i really wanted it.

I hope this helps someone out in the future. if anyone wants any more picsm let me know. ill gladly take some pics of it to show more stuff.
steve

Last edited by honda400ex2003; 05-08-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Light bar wiring and new rack