PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Let's talk tires....

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:50 PM
Default Let's talk tires....

So I'm in the market for some 315/75R16 tires.

My primary concern is price, tread life, and snow performance with the occasional mud use, but nothing deep we're talking maybe a trail or two here. I guess I just want year round good daily driving performance in wet or dry road conditions, heavy snow, and something that wears good and looks good. Snow has to be my primary concern living in the Ohio snow belt.

I've been looking at Wrangler Duratracs, Wrangler MT/R's with Kevlar, and the Toyo Open Country M/T's.

The Toyo seems to be the most expensive, does anyone know why? Is it just a better tire than the Goodyears or just more expensive?

I'd love to hear anyone's ideas or opinions on various brands, or if anyone thinks I should be considering another tire also let me know.

Also feel free to use this thread to talk about anything tire related I guess!

Last edited by Draketh; 03-15-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:46 PM

Have th 285 Duratracs,super in all conditions.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:57 PM

I have toyo mt but 305/70/16 so far love them not to mention they look aggressive just got them so I'm testing waters haven't took them off road yet

Old 03-15-2011, 05:24 PM

I just typed both "tire review" and "duratracs" into the search feature and it came up with a tonne of threads with tire reviews, comparisons, info etc. I know there has been discussions on all of your choices on here and other forums. I would also use "google" to find info. When I was looking at tires specifically the duratracs very very few people had them so I had to use the interweb to find any info...it really does work.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:58 PM

my dad has the wrangler duratrecs on his tahoe and they do very well on and off road. look aggressive too.

I have BFG A/Ts and they only whine a little bit. they do well in mud/sand. and are known for lasting a long time.

you may want to think about the nitto terra grapplers or the nitto trail grapplers. the terra grapplers are an agressive all-terrain and the trail grapplers are between an all-terrain and mud-terrain.

hopes this helps some.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by largemouthbass
I just typed both "tire review" and "duratracs" into the search feature and it came up with a tonne of threads with tire reviews, comparisons, info etc. I know there has been discussions on all of your choices on here and other forums. I would also use "google" to find info. When I was looking at tires specifically the duratracs very very few people had them so I had to use the interweb to find any info...it really does work.

X100! Another GD frickin' tire thread! Holy sheep Sheet!

You say you want a "year round good daily driving performance in wet or dry road conditions, heavy snow, and something that wears good and looks good. Snow has to be my primary concern living in the Ohio snow belt." Yet you list 2 of the most agressive MTs out there?

Go here and READ a lot! Look at the user reviews, throw out the reviews that have "1"s and "10"s. Check out the different ATs and MTs and make an informed dicision based on what type of tire will suit your personal needs. Not what everybody else has.
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/

Here is a great tool once you have read up on the different tires:
http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...ight_Tires.htm

Old 03-15-2011, 10:20 PM

we sold alot of the Kumo KL61 suv truck tires this winter, not one complaint out of them in the snow or even how they are on dry pavement, we also sold the goodyear duratracs thoes tires are pretty mean, but will probley be really noise on dry pavement as they have a agressive tred pattern if you planning on doing some off roading then maybe consider something with the real agressive tred if not just something everyday highway city driving snow and what not i would check out thoes Kumo KL61's

Old 03-16-2011, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
X100! Another GD frickin' tire thread! Holy sheep Sheet!
Come on TAINTER......if it weren't for 'Tires' and 'Lifting', there would be nothing left to read on this forum!

Old 03-16-2011, 07:34 AM

I like the "Brass" & "*****" and the gentle thoughts that are delivered on this forum...true hummer passion

Ditto..get what you want.....and live with it

I have BIG 35" aggressive Nitto's...and they more quiet on the road than
the 285 Bridgestone Duellers I took
off? I didn't not find that wisdom on
line and I'm even happier...

Old 03-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Buy American is my thoughts.

Quick Reply: Let's talk tires....