PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

leaking tires too, also a little smokier exaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Default leaking tires too, also a little smokier exaust

Hi all,
I posted a while about my truck dying with no warning. It wasn't the PMD, it was the IP. I got a new (reman) one for $450 from E-bay (no core or no PMD) . I threw my back out again installing it. But the truck has been running fine for a few months. Lately (colder weather in Cleveland) the pass side rear tire is loosing air quickly. One day I noticed a hissing sound coming from the air intake. It also smelled a little like gear oil. I assume that this is the sign of a spindle seal leak. I disengaged the ctis valve and the leaking slowed way down. Does it sound like there is another leak that is not as bad? Also the DS front was loosing air quicker than it should. After disengaging that one the leak slowed to about 3-5 lbs/day. The rear is at about 10-15lbs/day. I also pulled the fuse so that the low air buzzer would shut up. I will have to do the vent line in water test as soon as I can get some warm garage time. Are the spindle seals tough to change? Or expensive?

On to another issue I go. Lately there seems to be more grey blue smoke on cold starts than before. When it's cold, the smoke is heavy under a load. One concern is that I was running SVO for a while (AND 3 IP's). I havent run that for at least 4k. Maybe the injectors still have some residue? The smoke doesn't smell like coolant, and the level is not dropping. My engine only has about 15k on it. The last guy swapped it out even though it wasn't one of the bad ones. Could my IP be set too retarded, and it only smokes like that now due to cold weather? I don't have a scan tool, so I went by sight. I get 11-12 mpg (city). So I don't think it could be off too much.

Thanks in advance.