PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Leak under dash.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Default Leak under dash.

I have water slowly leaking into the driver side. It is dripping under the dash between the hood release and parking brake release (left side of steering wheel). Any thoughts? My first thought is either the windsheild or the top roof marker lights. Luckily the H2 can sit in the garage while it rains (all week again) here in IL.

The door seems dry, the upper dash is dry, no signs of water in the roof liner. I do have a sunroof. How do you check to see if the drain tubes are blocked? I am a very novice mechanic.

Scott.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:54 AM

I think I know what it is. I sat down last night. Based on location and previous signs of wetness that I should have been more alert to, the water has got to be following the offroad light wires through the firewall and dumping it in the area right under the switch. So water must be traveling down between hood opening down firewall and finding the wires.

I will test it tonight.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:31 PM

First off you need to do a couple things. Run the vehicle with the A/c on and make sure after 5-10 mins you see water dripping under the vehicle. If not your issue has a clogged vent under the vehicle for the evaporator core. Next if that's not it, if the vehicle has a sun roof, open the top and in each corner of the roof pan there is a drain. Take a cup of water and pour it in those corners, it should start to run out right away. If that's not it you can run the vehicle with the blower on full blast and wet your palm of your hand and feel around the door and lights for air. Last thing if none of the pans out water test the cae with a garden hose amd look for location. Hope that helps

Old 10-28-2009, 11:02 PM

Man oh man. I can't get the leak to repeat itself. So far I have done:

1. Poured water in edges of open sunroof. Water drain is not clogged, water flows and is deposited under truck.

2. A/C runs, deposits water under car. No clogged line.

3. Poured a lot of water on upper lights, nothing.

4. Water hood, window and door. Nothing.

I guess she is going to the dealer for a water test with the dash taken apart.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:56 PM

sounds like it was probably a clog in the drain for the a/c. Maybe it came unclogged.