PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Larger Tires / Better Wheels / Lift Kit .... HELP - PLEASEEEEE !?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:44 AM

I like the way mine sits on it's 285/70/17 Not too high, not to short. I lifted it to just under 25" from center of hub to bottom of fender.

I've taken it off road a few times since it's warmed up finally. It felt great... Not too rough at at all. My last lifted Hummer rode really rough, but it was a little higher than this one. I measured it a few days ago, and it was right at 24 1/2 inches on both sides, so it's settled a little bit.

Some people people don't like the lifted look, some do. The ones who don't will tell you it will hurt your H3 and it won't make a difference... But the ones who have lifted them seem to love them. I have never had any issues.

You'll even have guy try and tell you that lifting your H3 doesn't help with ground clearance because you have differentials... Well Yes and no... You do have one differential, but not one in the front, (it's independent) And if you are trying to attack obstacles head on like that... You don't know how to off road.

The only negative I see in lifting your H3 and going with bigger tires is, your fuel mileage will go down. Although I doubt you bought the Hummer for it's awesome gas mileage. lol There are however remedies for the loss of MPG's as well.

PS. I also wouldn't go spend money on one of those Torsion Bar lift kits either... A waist of money since you don't need it. You can lift it yourself with just some simple hand tools. Just don't go to high... and an alignment will be needed afterwards. ($70 from dealership)

Last edited by stevelnew; 05-19-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by stevelnew
You'll even have guy try and tell you that lifting your H3 doesn't help with ground clearance because you have differentials... Well Yes and no... You do have one differential, but not one in the front, (it's independent) And if you are trying to attack obstacles head on like that... You don't know how to off road.
WOW, krackhead! You can mess stuff up like krazy can't you. Put down the pipe brother anddon't wheel high!

Old 05-20-2013, 01:17 AM

Steve / Tainter :

So a lift kit is NOT necessary ???

Just turn the torsion bars ?

Long term no problems ?

What size tires should I buy ?

I like the jacked up look of a Hummer but not sure which venue to take.

Black Rock Star wheels look good but are they reliable long term? Does their clear coat hold up over the long haul? It's made in China, not USA.

Much appreciated ....

Last edited by H3Ray; 05-21-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:19 PM

So a lift kit is NOT necessary ??? TRUE

Just turn the torsion bars ? TRUE

Long term no problems ? Depends on how high you go. If you stay in the "safe range" of under 23 3/4" then TRUE.

What size tires should I buy ? Any size you can afford and want. With a 1" body lift and some slight trimming and "adjustments" you can put up to a 37"x13.50". Just remember that tire height, tread pattern, sidewall ply count and width will have an effect on your overall mileage, acceleration, vehicle looks and ride.

Simply put large agressive M/Ts will cost you some MPGs. Depends on how much you drive, where/if you wheel it and if you even care about mileage. Personally, I don't!

Old 05-21-2013, 12:18 AM
rsc

Originally Posted by H3Ray
Steve / Tainter :

What size tires should I buy ?

I like the jacked up look of a Hummer but not sure which venue to take.

Black Rock Star wheels look good but are they reliable long term? Does th clear coat hold up over the long haul? It's made in China, not USA.

Much appreciated ....
No one can tell you what to buy, otherwise I would be offering up a suggestion like 37" Cooper STT's or maybe a more gas friendly General Grabber 255/70r16 HTS. I don't know what your needs are, but since you are looking at getting Rock Stars you might not really need a M/T. Just buy whatever you want and stop obsessing over it.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Hard to believe that this thread has gone on for 7 months.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:24 AM

this guy asks the same questions over and over in different threads. Then once we answer, he asks them again. Look back through just this thread and you will see the same questions, and all his other threads. Either a troll, or just make up your mind and do something and stop making people repeat themselves over and over and over.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:17 AM

ATTENTION to anyone new to the forum that might stumble onto this thread:

There appear to be posts in this thread that contain more wrongs than rights, so I encourage you to research the appropriate max height of the torsion lift of an H3 if you want it to hold up over the long haul.

I strongly recommend you follow the advice of literally hundreds of H3 owners who after trial and error have learned that 23.75" seems to be the max height you want to to lift your rig if you want the CV's to last...or you can listen to one exception who suggests every other person on every Hummer forum in existence is wrong and go ahead and jack 'er up to 25".

....And don't forget to change the fluids of your front differential because yes indeed, you do have one, contrary to what the exception above believes. Had he ever had the urge to take off the front skid of any of his lifted H3's, the front diff would be looking him square in the face. He must not even change his own oil.

Flippin' High-larious!! LOL!!!!

Old 05-21-2013, 05:01 PM

Just when you think it is over..............Jeesh.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by stevelnew
You do have one differential, but not one in the front,
Are you telling me, that I wasted $30.00 bucks on royal purple max synthetic, and wasted 15 minutes of my time, doing a drain and refill, on that pumpkin' lookin' part on the front, that I thought was a differential?
Another thing, why do I have all the "4" control buttons on my dashboard above my stereo? Those fake too?

Quick Reply: Larger Tires / Better Wheels / Lift Kit .... HELP - PLEASEEEEE !?!?!?