PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Larger Tires / Better Wheels / Lift Kit .... HELP - PLEASEEEEE !?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 AM
Default ?

Rockstars for daily driving but the width is 9 inches, they stick out beyond the fenders and throw a ton of crap on the truck offload, plus they are kinda nice to scrape up with large rocks.

Stock rims, I have chrome and they are 16 inch rims not 18 like the rockstar so the diameter is a little smaller so I am not jamming them up into the fenders plus they are 7 inches wide so they do not stick out beyond my fenders. Plus when you beat the **** out of them they are 25.00 on Craigslist to replace.

Tires on the rockstars 35/12.5/18 diameter is 35 inches
Tires on stock 315/75/16 these are slightly smaller and narrower due to the stock rim, diameter is roughly 34 inches overall

I do not have a lift kit but I leveled my truck. Why? Because with it leveled it looks good to me plus with my roof rack I just clear the garage by 2 inches to still pull the truck in. I do have an Alpha (V8). Plus I did a custom PCM tune an airdoc intake and cat back exhaust to make up for some of the performance gains the larger wheels created.

Your comment was a bit of an ******* comment.

Last edited by nijoma; 10-21-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by H3Ray
I don't understand you. Please be more specific. Why would you remove your larger wheels then change to smaller stock wheel. You make no sense at all. Don't even try and bull**** me, amigo.
What he is trying to tell you is that when you are wheeling offroad it is much better to have MORE tire sidewall (most serious wheelers air down their tires to about 20 lbs). So most of us run 16" rims with 33" or 35" tires. (305/70/16 or 315/75/16).
The onroad ride is better with more tire sidewall too.

Huge rims and low profile tires don't cut it offroad. No bull****
Those pictures of trucks that you posted are lifted street trucks. I wouldn't want to take any of them on the rocky trails that I run.

Last edited by Bunger; 10-21-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Default Hunger thanks

Those pictures are pretty trucks and mine looks similar on the road but off road all that fancy stuff gets beat. My next mod is to get rid of my side steps and replace them with rocker bars for more protection. For fishing on the beach or light offload I leave my Rockstar wheels on.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by nijoma
My next mod is to get rid of my side steps and replace them with rocker bars for more protection.
A very smart move

Side steps, nerf bars, etc. are dangerous offroad. They bend easily and could puncture a tire.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by nijoma
That stupid center cap sticks out, you need to get shorter bolts and cut the legs on the back of the center cap so it's sits flush. My opinion and after I did that they looked so much nicer.
I had 18" XD Monsters in matte black on my Duramax. I didnt cut my legs down and I was constantly having to tighten those stupid allen bolts that are hard to pick out from the fake ones, even had one back out all the way and couldnt figure out what the clunk was...low and behold, center cap flopping around. Wish I woulda thought of this

Old 10-22-2012, 04:57 AM

Sorry for my bad comment yesterday. My NFL team lost. Thanks again guys.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:28 AM

Thanks everyone.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:08 AM

Everybody and their mother has Rockstars. If you want your rig to be unique and different, then don't get those.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:05 PM

I don't take it offroad. My wife and I both suffered broken necks/backs from an auto accident in 2010. Crossing railroad tracks is painful sometimes.

I'd avoid the lift kit. Raise the front end with the torsion bolts and install shackles on the rear for more clearance. As far as tires, 35" height will get you "up" without going crazy. MPG with the supercharger is virtually unchanged.....just gotta be smart with the right foot.

I take heat on here all the time for my "pavement princess", but that's OK. It's been one of the most popular vehicles at every car show and it's a blast to drive.

Attached Thumbnails Larger Tires / Better Wheels / Lift Kit  .... HELP - PLEASEEEEE !?!?!?-img_4167.jpg  
Old 10-27-2012, 12:04 PM

what are some good ideas for steel wheels, that look nice and are affordable. I agree with most, almost everybody has those cheesy rockstar wheels

Quick Reply: Larger Tires / Better Wheels / Lift Kit .... HELP - PLEASEEEEE !?!?!?