PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Landscaping in your back yard

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Default RE: Landscaping in your back yard

Mike, no worries on the seed, they will lay dormant until the temps go up .. no need to water either ... this is actually the best time to do it from what I've heard. I just re-seeded my entire back yard this weekend just because it's supposed to rain and the temps were down a bit ...

Old 04-17-2007, 02:56 PM

Mike, if you are laying seed now, the best thing you could do is buy landscapers fabric to lay on top of the newly seeded dirt. This will keep the humidity high under the fabric and help the seeds germinate. If you can't get teh fabric just go buy a bail of hay and lay that on top....once the grass starts to sprout rake up the hay or remove the fabric....3-4 weeks you should be fully grown. Did you make sure to get the same seed as the grass you already have? All ypes of grasses have different shades of green...patching bermuda grass in a rye grass yard will look very bad (as an example). I'm a state licenced Greenskeeper/chemical sprayerand worked at a golf course for many years before getting into the automotive field...if you need more help, just pm me.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: importkiller

Mike, if you are laying seed now, the best thing you could do is buy landscapers fabric to lay on top of the newly seeded dirt. This will keep the humidity high under the fabric and help the seeds germinate. If you can't get teh fabric just go buy a bail of hay and lay that on top....once the grass starts to sprout rake up the hay or remove the fabric....3-4 weeks you should be fully grown. Did you make sure to get the same seed as the grass you already have? All ypes of grasses have different shades of green...patching bermuda grass in a rye grass yard will look very bad (as an example). I'm a state licenced Greenskeeper/chemical sprayerand worked at a golf course for many years before getting into the automotive field...if you need more help, just pm me.
Yes Hummerguy, Importkiller is the man to take advice from, as you can clearly see by his lawn:

j/k

Old 04-18-2007, 04:26 PM

lol...thats not my lawn....thats my neighbors.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks dude I appreciate the advice. I really don't know what I'm doing. Someone else suggested that fabric to me yesterday. It's not THAT much surface area though. I'm talking 8 inches by maybe 20 or so feet. It's a strip of soil and grass seed I laid along the fence, but whatever it is, I'm sure what you are telling me holds true no matter hoe big or small it is.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: littlehummerboy

Yes Hummerguy, Importkiller is the man to take advice from, as you can clearly see by his lawn:

j/k
No Wonder he switched careers

Old 04-18-2007, 05:30 PM

again, not my lawn!!

I understand the area to be seeded is small but you need to cover it with something until the seeds germinate or it will turn into bird food and you will have nothing left to grow into grass