PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Landscaping in your back yard

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default Landscaping in your back yard

OK. I just had a fence installed yesterday (Wooden, 4' high with 2 inch spaced plats) and I want to lay some dirt in the places where there is enough space for my dogs to sneak underneath. MOST of the fence has the plats stuck into the ground, but some there is enough space for the dogs to escape.

I also want to plant some grass seeds in the areas where they mudded it up yesterday, and also put extra dirt along the bottom of the fence and grow the grass up there so there are no holes.

Anyway, I am new at all of this and was wondering if anybody knows a thing or two about this. People at work are telling me a bag of dirt is between $40 to $50. That's insane. Is that true or are they just messing with me? Hell I'll go steal some from the new home they are building around me if that's the case.

My wife sugguested instead of that I get those ribbon-like liners that you dig into the dirt that cover the areas with holes in them. I would rather have dirt and grass then something like that. I think it would look alot nicer.

What do you guys/ladies think? All I have ever done in my life is cut grass so any feedback is much appreciated since I'll be working on this later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks my friends!

(I'm still a little sad about Mark so maybe playing with dirt will help )

Old 04-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Default RE: Landscaping in your back yard

They are messing with you a bag of dirt islike $3 but it easier and cheaper to buy a yard or two of loam like $22a yard delivered

Old 04-13-2007, 06:57 PM

I would of went with this type of fence last a life time this is what i have no more painting twice a year.

http://www.buyvinylfence.com/?gclid=...FQWMgAodEX87wQ

Old 04-13-2007, 08:36 PM

Here is the fence we put up 2 years ago.We had a lot of space under it, and I was worried about the pets getting out.

Name:  Fence3.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  78.2 KB

Name:  Fence4.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  93.5 KB

Name:  Fence7.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  72.4 KB

So here is what we did.

We cut a small ditch around the fence and put river rock in it. High enough that the pets can't get out. It's just a bitch taking care of it, because you always have to weed and edge it.

Name:  Fence-Rock032705010.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  Fence-Rock032705009.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  82.4 KB

Name:  Fence-Rock032705007.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  61.8 KB

Old 04-13-2007, 08:37 PM

Damn Chris. That looks like way too much work. Very very nice though.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:18 PM

Yeah Chris..it is very very nice..but just like Sugardaddy said..it does look like a lot of work.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:18 AM

ORIGINAL: blackstangs281

Here is the fence we put up 2 years ago.We had a lot of space under it, and I was worried about the pets getting out.

So here is what we did.

We cut a small ditch around the fence and put river rock in it. High enough that the pets can't get out. It's just a bitch taking care of it, because you always have to weed and edge it.

Very nice and CLEAN!!!! Dennis would LOVE IT!!

Old 04-14-2007, 12:14 PM

NXT or ICE?

Old 04-14-2007, 02:52 PM

Looks good Chris, and the rock is a good idea as animalsare probably less likely to be able to dig up the rock then if there was just dirt under then fence.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

I like those rocks, but I can't really do that since I have neighbors on every side of me. What I did was went out and bought 6 bags of Miracle Gro soil and filled in all of the gaps and mud holes created by the new nieghbors dirt yard's drainage with this stuff.I bought grass seed and planted it in those spots. For the two gates I used some dirt to build up the bottom of the gates so they can't get out, and put grass seed on those too. The problem now is the temps dropped today back to 30 degrees so I doubt that stuff is going to grow [:@]I'm supposed to water the seeds 3 times a day but if I do the ground will freeze so I doubt that's going to do any good. I'll probably just have to plant more seeds. I have no idea how much grass seed you need to spread. It says on the bag 1/2 cup per 2x2 foot area, but I don't think I used that much. I'll probably go buy another bag of it this weekend and plant more.

How long does it take for new grass seeds to start growing?

Quick Reply: Landscaping in your back yard