PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Keys and Fobs

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Default Keys and Fobs

I need help, I have a 2008 H3, both fobs stop working, and the key will not unlock the doors. Any suggesting out there, thank you in advance I changed the batteries in the fobs

Old 10-12-2013, 04:50 PM

key wont open door? it did ? last week? if the remotes worked b4 it sounds like a programming problem. dealers do that.
I have been reading this forum for years, never heard this one!
key wont open door huh? that's strictly mechanical,no volts needed so you should be able to get in, ?? if not, you can pick a cheap small window! don't know anything else.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:46 PM

I don't have any (working) fobs but the key should always open the door?

Old 10-12-2013, 09:34 PM

Our key is the original key and it has never unlocked the door. Only the key fob does. the only place the key works is in the ignition. I don't know why. I imagine there must have been another key that was for just the doors?

Old 10-12-2013, 10:54 PM

the key has to open the door ! if your battery is dead you could nt get in!

my key gets me in and I have one hidden in case I loose everything
if your key don't work your lock may b frozen,stuck.try lubrication.

you must wonder why the key hole is there huh! its for your key!

do you remember me posting a while ago about struggling to change the lock when I installed a new door? that was because I had to install my original lock to match my key. the new door obviously had a strange lock that my key didn't fit..

Last edited by happythree; 10-12-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:14 PM

I don't know. Never knew what the problem was. Ours was only 2 years old when we bought it, and it didn't work then. So I just kind of figured maybe there was a second key like on older cars. I hadn't thought about it much since we have always used the fob, but yes, If the fob died we would be out of luck.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by egroegart
I don't know. Never knew what the problem was. Ours was only 2 years old when we bought it, and it didn't work then. So I just kind of figured maybe there was a second key like on older cars. I hadn't thought about it much since we have always used the fob, but yes, If the fob died we would be out of luck.
Is it the Factory Key? My local key shop had to do 2 or 3 cuts on my spare keys to get them to work in both the ignition and the door. Good luck.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:35 PM

I had the same issue but did not know it because we never used the key entry. One key would not unlock the door but worked in the ignition.

We had an area with weird electromagntic problems and people had trouble with their various remote items. When I parked my H3 in front of a business the remote entry would not work. Neither did the key. Fortunately I had the second key with me and it worked. I thought it was the battery but the remote worked everywhere else.

Went to the dealership yesterday and they corrected the key and it now fits the key entry.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by RKSmith163
Is it the Factory Key? My local key shop had to do 2 or 3 cuts on my spare keys to get them to work in both the ignition and the door. Good luck.
Yes, it's the factory key. It's never worked the locks, only the ignition. Maybe something is wrong with the lock on ours. I just never bothered finding out because we only use the fob, but we are going to be in trouble when the fob stops working.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:27 PM

I forgot about the interference issue scared mentioned. I came out of auto zone once and my remote did nothing. fact is whenii went in it did not lock my h3! lucky me. that store had some data communications eqpt that blocked me for about 100 feet around it.

now its ok. I guess they changed something.
it could happen anywhere with all the "surveylance" going on.
better get your keys working.

id like to find the wire that enables the unlock and have a hidden button to get in.

Quick Reply: Keys and Fobs