PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

JUST WONDERING

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Default RE: JUST WONDERING

ORIGINAL: importkiller

ORIGINAL: HummBob

you like, Bob?
Very Much!! THANKS!!!!Name:  bananadoggy.gif
Views: 36
Size:  1.3 KB

Old 01-06-2007, 06:43 PM

ORIGINAL: TigerLily

I have a slight vibration too.
Yeah, but that's fromyour HUMMER LOVE TOY!!!

Old 01-06-2007, 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: HummBob

ORIGINAL: TigerLily

I have a slight vibration too.
Yeah, but that's from your HUMMER LOVE TOY!!!

Old 01-06-2007, 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Freeze Frame...Now this is better...[8D]

On that note...I like this one...[8D]

Old 01-19-2007, 03:56 AM

When I got my H3 back from the dealer I began to notice a very slight vibration at idle. I took it back to the dealer andhad a long talk to one of the senior mechanics there. He said all the H3s have a slight vibration at idle. He attributed it to the fact that the engine is an in line 5, which makes a little bit of sense. He also stated that the is no possibility of making the engine idle higher (i.e. at 700 rpm, where its smoother). He said with the on board diagnostic system, playing with the idle will only cause the engine light to go on -- I don't know that for a fact, but I guess I have to trust them on that one.

FDT

Old 01-19-2007, 04:00 AM

ImportKiller, saw your new video clip below...you are quickly becoming my hero...!!!

[sm=wootwoot.gif]

FDT

Old 01-19-2007, 06:27 AM
JM

O.K.now, if Dennis, IK and Bob start on this path we are in biiiiiig trouble.[8D]

Old 01-19-2007, 06:48 AM

ORIGINAL: JM

O.K.now, if Dennis, IK and Bob start on this path we are in biiiiiig trouble.[8D]

Old 01-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: ROADDAWG

IVE GOT 1,200 MILES ON MY 07 H3. AT IDLE IVE NOTICED A SLIGHT VIBRATION SOMETIMES IN THE STEERING WHEEL. THE ENGINE IS RUNING AS SMOOTHE AS SILK AND THE VIBRATION IS SMALL. IVE NEVER OWNED A HUMMER OR ANY GM VEHICLE. JUST WONDERING IS ANYONE ELSE FEELS THE SAME THING. THANKS FOR ANY FEEDBACK. --ROADDAWG--
I had a '07 Automatic for a loaner last time I left mine at the dealer, and that is the first thing I noticed. Because I have a stick, I don't have any vibrations since I have it in neutral at the stops, but definintely existed on the '07. That's normal for many smaller engine vehicles. Even though it's a 3.7L, it's still only 5 cylinders. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:08 PM

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone is interested:

I owned a 2005 GMC Canyon Crew Cab a few years ago and the steering wheel vibrated terribly at idle (vehicle in drive and foot on brake) -- it was so bad it made my arms sore after a 40 mile drive to the proving grounds. One of the vehicle engineers told me to loosen all of the bolts where the exhaust bolts to the manifold and the bolts where the exhaust flange is...then retighten them....takes some built in stress out of the system...helped a little, but vibration was still there. The problem is that the exhaust vibrates at a frequency that exites the steering column when at 600 - 650 rpms. Increasing the idle by 100 rpms decreases fuel economy by 0.1 mpg, so GM was not going to up the idle any more -- I asked the release engineer if 700 rpms was a forseeable possibility --- NO.

The engineering fix was to instal a flex coupling in the exhaust just behind the area that kicks up over the rear axle. This was not a field fix, but something to be added in the 2007 model year on the Colorado/Canyon. I got rid of my Canyon in 2006 and don't know how the flex pipe worked.

Now I just picked up a new 2008 H3 last week and love it!!! The vibration in the wheel is MUCH MUCH less than in the Colorado/Canyon. I believe that the shorter exhaust and the heavier steering wheel move the vibration away from the columns natural frequency. I also notice less vibration with a full gas tank and much more vibration with only 1/4 tank left (although still not as bad as the Canyon). I notice when I stop the vibration happens when the tach is at about 650rpm or so....then about 5 to 10 seconds later (if still stopped) the tach drops to about 550 or 600rpms and the vibration stops. There is a little pulsation in the engine -- but for some reason this stopped when i filled up. Maybe some bad gas from the dealer (or old gas). I think having a full tank lets the gas act as a dampener for the entire vehicle. Either way, the vibration is much better than my 2006 Canyon and is in no way a deal breaker. Everyone has it if they have an auto trans and a 3.5 or 3.7L engine.....just not everyone notices it. I work with another engineer that just got a new H3, and he didn't notice the vibration until I pointed it out. Bet he wasnt' to kick my @ss....!!!!!

Now I want to know if anyone installed the GM cat-back Exhaust from the dealer and how their steering wheel is at idle with the vehicle in drive and the foot on the brake.

Quick Reply: JUST WONDERING