PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Just MY .02!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:20 AM
Default RE: Just MY .02!

First of all, I do not hate mexicans. (NOR do I hate anyone!)I lived in Mexico for 3 years - a great experience I will never forget. I also learned enough of the language to be able to go out in daily life and get things done, converse with a maid and our guards and others when necessary. I did this because I had to and IWANTED to! I also left Mexico with several very good friendships. Secondly, "Mexicans" are not the only people who speak Spanish. I believe my post was about the use of the English language - not "Mexicans."

I live in south Florida and everything is geared to us as English as a second language. I am sick to death of not being able to go to my medical Dr's office and have a conversation because some of the staff do not speak English! I am sick to death of not being able to go into many a store and ask for help because they do not understand me since they do not speak English. I am sick to death of calling various businesses and companies and having to listen to a 5 minute recording in Spanishof which buttons to push BEFORE I get the English version of the recording. You askOK sowhy do I not just speak Spanish then? In case you weren't aware...we are a melting pot of many countries. Each country, as well as many different regions in those countries have different dialects. Should I learn all of these different dialects, as well as Portuguese, Creole, Patois, Farsi, and the other various languages spoken very widely here so that I can co-exist and get by in MY own country? I think NOT...Hence my post!

You say, If I don't like it - I should leave? Believe me, I intend to as soon as we can. We are not here by choice but by transfer due to my husbands profession. While I have never been to Canada, I doubt that you are quite as culturally diverse as we are and have to deal with this on a daily basis. Perhaps I am wrong and you do..if that's the case...you may continue to be tolerant of it and judgemental of we Americans for our attitudes about this subject. I choose to let it **** me off and that's my freedom of right! As for our ancestors who came to this country, you can by God believe they learned to speak English and with pride!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:56 AM

ORIGINAL: LawWyfe

First of all, I do not hate mexicans. (NOR do I hate anyone!)I lived in Mexico for 3 years - a great experience I will never forget. I also learned enough of the language to be able to go out in daily life and get things done, converse with a maid and our guards and others when necessary. I did this because I had to and IWANTED to! I also left Mexico with several very good friendships. Secondly, "Mexicans" are not the only people who speak Spanish. I believe my post was about the use of the English language - not "Mexicans."

I live in south Florida and everything is geared to us as English as a second language. I am sick to death of not being able to go to my medical Dr's office and have a conversation because some of the staff do not speak English! I am sick to death of not being able to go into many a store and ask for help because they do not understand me since they do not speak English. I am sick to death of calling various businesses and companies and having to listen to a 5 minute recording in Spanishof which buttons to push BEFORE I get the English version of the recording. You askOK sowhy do I not just speak Spanish then? In case you weren't aware...we are a melting pot of many countries. Each country, as well as many different regions in those countries have different dialects. Should I learn all of these different dialects, as well as Portuguese, Creole, Patois, Farsi, and the other various languages spoken very widely here so that I can co-exist and get by in MY own country? I think NOT...Hence my post!

You say, If I don't like it - I should leave? Believe me, I intend to as soon as we can. We are not here by choice but by transfer due to my husbands profession. While I have never been to Canada, I doubt that you are quite as culturally diverse as we are and have to deal with this on a daily basis. Perhaps I am wrong and you do..if that's the case...you may continue to be tolerant of it and judgemental of we Americans for our attitudes about this subject. I choose to let it **** me off and that's my freedom of right! As for our ancestors who came to this country, you can by God believe they learned to speak English and with pride!
Hi Lawwyfe, your points are all valid. Canada, like the USis extremely culturally diverse, and we do experience the same issues here. It's true that (as in the USA) some areas here experience higher concentrations of other ethnic groups than others, so individual attitudes often reflect what they personallyexperience. Here in BC, we have had a tremendous number of Asian immigrants in the past 15 years resulting in a similar situation here with Chinese speaking areas, as you describe in Florida.(http://www.bcstats.gov.bc.ca/data/pop/pop/apebc97.pdf).We as a country have had to deal with 2 official languages (English and French) so perhaps this makes us a wee bit more accepting of cultral or language differences, but in general most feel the same way as you do.

I'm sure azz7772 meant no disrespect, but was commenting on an intrepretation he gleaned from a post. Certainly, this can also be an example of one of the weaknesses of Internet communication, as peoples attitudes or opinions can be taken out of context or not properly represented in a textual manner. Thank goodness for smileys!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:59 AM

ORIGINAL: LawWyfe

That does seem very frustrating, Where I live in Canada, this very rarely happens, though I think it's different the larger city you go.

I dislike most mexicans, and hate Americans that look at Canada like a state.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:59 AM

folks i do not mean any disrespect....... i am just trying to anilyze how americans come up with their perticularly different veiws of things like this topic and i am just speaking how i have seen americans interpreted through the media and reading forums.I know it is probably like you said different pockets of population have different veiws about different things but when you live in a different country you only get to know what the media portrays so that is why i asked the questions i did ..............i am interested in reading a debate like this just to get the real feeling for what is happening and i thank you all for your input and to lighten the mood i will insert a joke that was just emailed to me
There will only be 49 contestants in the Miss Black America Contest this year because no one wants to wear the sash that says IDAHO

Old 04-24-2007, 07:01 AM

I can't believe I didn't read this post earlier.......I am SO SICK of ANY immigrant coming to Canada and expecting us to allow them their customs.....but NOT ALLOWING US OURS!!!! Hey man.....you moved HERE...so get with the FUKIN PROGRAM!!!![:@][:@][:@]

I think the thing that really got me is the Pakistanis(sp) or maybe East Indians(DON'T CARE...COULDN'T GIVE A ***) who came here and joined the RCMP(Royal Canadian Mounted Police) and fought IN COURT their right to wear a FUKIN TURBAN with the uniform!!!! WTF????

These are RCMP:

NOT THIS MOTHER *****:

I'm sorry for the RANT but this really pisses me off!!!!!! OUR COUNTRY....OUR TRADITIONS!!!!![:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

If you don't like it...........GO HOME!!!!!

Old 04-24-2007, 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: littlehummerboy

ORIGINAL: Dennis

Karl...I'm 1/4 Native American..For the record...But they aren't really Americans either by your terms regarding imigrants...they immigrated from Mongolia and Eastern Europe...Some zillion years ago...But who cares? The point is, this country was founded by English speaking people. Be that right or wrong the way it came about, but that's the way it is now...So I agree with ZYNE 200%...Learn the language and laws, or forget about living here and enjoying the benefits that comes with the American lifestyle. This includes Canada in my Book, because you folks are Americans too, like it or not...

Lastly, I don't think there is any hatred towards Mexicans or Spanish speaking people on a national level. Only small pockets of hate jerks that have this need for White superiority and racial separation and hatred, we call them the KKK.

I think the point is and it has been said quite eloquently by ZYNE and the others. No matter what your native tongue is. Learn English in order to live in our ENGLISH speaking society and don't expect special amends for your handicap...PERIOD that is all. My Great Grand father did..ZYNE did it, Importkiller's Grand parents did, it's only fair, no hatred, no dislike, just get with our program or live somewhere else. Say like Canada...

Reminding everyone this is a friendly intelectual discussion and has nothing personal leveled at anyone.
Hey, how'd I get involved with this? Think you meant Darcy, Dennis! Karl agrees with you and Zyne. No animosity against peoples, language, or cultures, but if you move here, make an effort to adopt ours!
Sorry Karl, my mistake (bifocal thing)..I was talking to Azz

Old 04-24-2007, 10:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Choco
Can you elaborate?..I'm curious at what this means...I want to fully understand before I comment..

Old 04-24-2007, 12:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Choco
Can you elaborate?..I'm curious at what this means...I want to fully understand before I comment..
While Chocos use of the word "hate" might be a bit much, I think he is referring to the fact that there are some Americans (whom I have met) who do not consider Canada a real country. These individuals feel that Canada is nothing more than an "undeclared" state of the US, and that somehow we owe our very existance to the "protection" the US affords us.As such, they feel that the US already owns our butts, and that we should bow down and allow the US unrestricted access to our resources. I have to say that on the occasions I have encountered these "types", it does get my hackles up, not because they are Americans, but because they are so ignorant! My feeling is these people have extemist views, and certainly is not reflective of the attitudes most US citizens display. At worst, I find many Americans simply don't know much about Canada, other than we are "up north" and think we're covered in snow all the time (we're not) and always say "eh" (we don't).

Old 04-24-2007, 12:26 PM

Okay..I see now..thanks for clarifing that...

Well maybe my comment as to WE are all AMERICANS was taken that way..What I meant was and I'm sure you understand, that WE Americans starts atCape Horn to the Artic, hence the "Americas"..That's all I was saying.

PS..Canadian beer still sucks and you can lay claim to that for sure

Old 04-24-2007, 12:32 PM

PS..Canadian beer still sucks and you can lay claim to that for sure
Personally I cannot comment as I don't drink, but I certainly know some other Canucks who would have a thing or 2 to say about this! I'm just jealous of your Mountain Dew.

Quick Reply: Just MY .02!