PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Just Installed my PCM after the upgrade !!! WOW !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Default RE: Just Installed my PCM after the upgrade !!! WOW !!

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

How or why. As has been said many times, the PCM is not altered externally. The dealer service doooods cannot tell it has been done with what they have at the dealership, so how??

Do not create an issue where none exists, my Grandfather used to say. So, unless you go in to the dealer with a major problem and tell them you had a PCM tune they would be none the wiser.

The tune (overly simplified for brevity) just changes timing, ignition and VVT, fuel mixtures, spark curve, auto trans. shifting etc., and out of literally 100s that have been done, have you heard one person say my PCM tune did __________ to my engine/drive train??

In order for GM to decline warranty, they have to prove that your modification caused the damage, not just point at it and say no, no. For more see my old thread
New Vehicle Warranty Rights--check it out and others thru the search.
Thanks for your opinion, Doc. But when I tuned my F250 Diesel they were able to tell and threatened tovoid my warranty because ofit. I am sure that GM hasthe same technology to scan your computer and find that the stock tune has been replaced. I would not underestimate them and their crafty ways. I know about the Magnuson Moss act. But if I have a valve failure, and the '06s are very prone to valve failure, and they scan my computer, I would bet that they would try to void the warranty because of the tune. Don't get me wrong, I have already ordered the tune from PCMforless and I plan on sending my unit in very soon, Iwas just wondering if anyone had ever had any problems with their dealer because of it.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:57 AM

I drove to work this morning, highways, mountains...

Shifting is really crisp, big difference, I went for the 2nd stage shift tightness, not the highest 3 setting. I do notice more power and quickness, and it tends to stay in gear a bit longer, which helps avaid the constant shifting in the mountains. I will probably notice a loss in MPG during these first few days as i get the giddyness out of my system. But when i fill my tank in a day or two, i will try for a good run and check it out. I am out of warranty at 52,000 miles, so it is not an issue for me.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:10 AM

Hey branstone what octane did you get it tuned for? Also how loud is your Gibson exhaust compared to stock at cruising speed 70mph? Can you post a sound clip or vid clip?

Old 03-27-2008, 10:25 AM

I got it tuned for 87 octane.

The gison exhaust is pretty quiet at freeway speed, its more the low rpm range that is loud. I have the extreme split rear ( side out ) It is louder then I thought it would be.

I could do a sound clip but not at 70 mph that sounds difficult.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:41 AM

I'm going to wait on this until the CAI or filter is out for the ALPHA 1st.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

GoFaster: I have never seen a crafty person yet at any GM dealership.

I do understand your concern, I just think those warranty void issues (not you personally, but in general) are based upon paranoia. I have modded every vehicle I have ever owned, some to a pretty crazy extent, never was an issue at all. Maybe I was lucky?

Old 03-27-2008, 06:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

GoFaster: I have never seen a crafty person yet at any GM dealership.

I do understand your concern, I just think those warranty void issues (not you personally, but in general) are based upon paranoia. I have modded every vehicle I have ever owned, some to a pretty crazy extent, never was an issue at all. Maybe I was lucky?
Well, I hope you are right--Cuz I am sending my computer in to PCMforless when we have 5 or 6 good weather days in the forcast. I can hardly wait!!

~Jason.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:48 PM

My dealer OFFERED to do a pcm tune - as a part of an intake and exhaust package for $2700. I can't see how it would void the warranty unless you were to push it to extremes, like moving the redline (don't know if possible). They support pcm tunes, I support going back to that dealer.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:51 PM

lol @ people saying they can't see the differnce in tuning on the pcm.
One of the pourposes they started using computers in vehicles is to plug them in and see what is going on with your engine. They can certainly see (if they really really wanted to) and compare what certain things are doing and what they should they be doing.
Now I would however question if they can see if you altered these said changes but I would alos figure thhat once they see that a few things changed at once like shift points, timing and fuel curves they are smart enough to derive what is going on.
I would assume the reason why it is never an issue is because a dealer really has no reason to just look at these things I mean come on who is gonna look to seewhere the tranny is shifting????? How ever they do need to prove what ever you have done cause the problem and making your tranny shift a little firmer is actually better for the tranny than those long lazy shifts. Just like an after market exhaust actually lets the exhaust flow easier so how could it be a problem for your engine see what I am getting at.................