PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Just installed backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Default Just installed backup camera

Just installed a backup camera (170 degree view) for the new head unit I put in 2 weeks ago. Here are some pics with field of view using two poles so you can see what the clearance is like. I still need to find a hole to route the wires from the rear gate (inside) to the bumper (outside) otherwise I will be drilling a hole and sealing it with silicone. The camera will also be secured a little better with another clamp.

Attached Thumbnails Just installed backup camera-backup1.jpg   Just installed backup camera-backup1a.jpg   Just installed backup camera-backup2.jpg   Just installed backup camera-backup2a.jpg   Just installed backup camera-backup3.jpg  

Old 11-19-2011, 06:35 PM

Cool! Please post how to do this/cost etc.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:41 PM

Double DIN adapter:
SCOSCHE GM1595B 04-UP CORVETTE DUAL ISO-DIN IN-DASH KIT $9.99 New shipped on ebay or you can buy the one from crutchfield.

My Double Din Head Unit: Pioneer Appradio SPH-DA01 $399 retail - paid $169 shipped (used on ebay)

Onstar Adapter to retain door chime and ONSTAR functionality: Metra Axxess GMOS-01 (without factory Monsoon)
Retails for $99 - I got lucky and got a used one on ebay for $41 shipped.

Antenna adapter:
Scosche MDA1B Antenna Adapter - ordered on ebay for about $5 shipped, but ended up buying a generic one locally for $10 at Autozone because the ebay one didn't arrive in the mail in time.

Camera: $39.99 on sale at Frys. You can get them for about $20-30 on ebay but they usually ship from China. Didn't want to wait that long.

Hands free mic: GARMIN Model: 010-10804-00 $13
The one that came with the head unit but was not very sensitive so I bought a $13 one from Frys that is used for Garmin GPS units. I had to also buy a $5 adapter (2.5 mm to 3.5 mm) from radio shack to get it to work. Now the hands free calls are closer to the quality of the ONSTAR system. I mounted the mic to the same location in the headliner as the onstar mic.

Misc. parts: crimp caps, 16 ga wire, zip ties, wire taps, sliding window lock (to mount camera to lower part of the rear bumper) - ($20)

Iphone holder: $25 from Frys. The head unit syncs with the iphone so this was a necessity to keep the phone within reach.

Total was around $350 give or take a few $ and tax. I saved $ doing the install myself just make sure you unplug the neg (-) cable on the car battery before doing the install.

I ran the video cable and the (+) power to the headunit from the backup camera, and did not need to use a ground since the bracket of the camera was grounded to the bumper. The power cable was wired to the red ACC wired going to the Headunit.

Hope this answers your questions. So far I am satisfied with the install.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:12 AM

Nice job on the install. If it helps any, I fished mine up behind the drivers rear taillight (take it out) and into the back of the vehicle through a couple stock holes in the sheetmetal. It took some patience and a metal coat hanger (for fishing the wire) but was able to do it in about 30 minutes.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to fish the wires through this weekend.

-Tim