PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

JUST GOT THE TRUCK BACK..Problems Already

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Exclamation JUST GOT THE TRUCK BACK..Problems Already

Well its been a very interesting month and a half. During the first week of January , there was a lot of snow in NY. I decided to join some of my jeep buddies and go off roading in the snow. We took a break in an empty parking lot to do some "snow drifting," Half way through, the steel tubing connecting to the tires tore off . So I brought the truck to my nearby H1 certified dealership.

The dealership only has one H1 mechanic. So they told me that they will call this guy to come in and work on the truck. The job seemed simple enough that they said it wouldn't cost that much. Almost two months later I finally got the truck back. Half way through the guy working on the truck they discovered that my glow plugs were going bad and my transmission was leaking fluid. Also, that my engine was "loose". So they fixed all of those little issues. When we went to go and pay for all of the damage done, the bill came out to $3000. The interesting part of the bill was the parts were only about $600... the labor was $2400.

So this morning I woke up early to start the truck up and get everything warm ( we all know these trucks take weeks to warm up lol ), The wait light turned off and i turned the key. Nothing... So i did the process all over again. After 5 tries I went and popped the hood. I had my dad check under the hood to see what the engine was doing as I turned the key. It seemed that my starter was frozen. After about an hour of trying to apply heat the engine finally started up.

Should I be worried it won't start again when I go to drive home?

Old 02-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

I usually plug in the block heater when the temps get around freezing. Never had a problem starting a diesel when the block heater was plugged in? How cold was it? Never heard of a starter freezing. The OEM starter is sealed so no moisture should get in. I am from relatively warm weather areas so am not real familiar with cold start issues.
What steel tubing are you talking about? It is not unusual for the labor charges to exceed the parts cost. Glow plugs cost about $10/ea, motor mounts cost about $40/ea. I can change the glow plugs in about 45 minutes. Motor mounts don't take much time at all so most of the labor must have been in the tranny work.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by 3hummers
I usually plug in the block heater when the temps get around freezing. Never had a problem starting a diesel when the block heater was plugged in? How cold was it? Never heard of a starter freezing. The OEM starter is sealed so no moisture should get in. I am from relatively warm weather areas so am not real familiar with cold start issues.
What steel tubing are you talking about? It is not unusual for the labor charges to exceed the parts cost. Glow plugs cost about $10/ea, motor mounts cost about $40/ea. I can change the glow plugs in about 45 minutes. Motor mounts don't take much time at all so most of the labor must have been in the tranny work.
I will try plugging in the block heater. It was about freezing last night. The metal hose for the tire inflation system was the part that ripped. It runs all underneath the truck.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

That is a first as far as I know on the CTIS line. use the disconnect at the wheel and separate the tire from the system and you are good to go.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by 3hummers
That is a first as far as I know on the CTIS line. use the disconnect at the wheel and separate the tire from the system and you are good to go.
Yea I did that once the hose ripped. Was really hard to drive with the constant beeping. I just couldn't take it anymore