PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Just Got my H3 Woa! Need backup camera kit HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 03:42 AM
Default RE: Just Got my H3 Woa! Need backup camera kit HELP!

Its the small light green wire on the trailer harness for backup..I tapped into this for aux backup lights. Although good luck tracing that wire any further than a foot from the hitch. I had no luck...some kind of mysterious wiring is going on above the fuel tank.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:49 PM

it seems like a few others on the e.l.c.o.v.a forum had interference problems.

Old 01-07-2007, 10:44 PM

Ghostpointed out the green wire on the hitch. Another option is to pop thetail light lens cover.It's easy to tap into the twoleads going into the backup bulb.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:01 PM

Fins...I was looking at the wiring diagram for your set up...did you connect both the red and black wire to the reverse light wires or did you ground the blackwire somewhere? I also noticed there are two types of backstoppers a top mount and under mount. Do you know what the difference between the two is?

Old 01-17-2007, 03:46 AM

Christian,

Ipurchased the surface mount LED readout. It's a 3rd option.AndIMO, a matter of taste which one to get. It fits nicely on the littlecrossbar of the side air vent. I personally didn't want to mount anything on top of the dash. For what it's worth, the underneath readoutwould be my 2nd choice.

To answer your wire question, I tapped in to both wires leading to the backup bulb. Easy enough withthe crimp tool. By doing that, I know that I have a good ground.

As a side note, when backing up after the ice storm went through KC, a 6" snow mound sets it off!

Old 01-17-2007, 04:33 AM

Fins, some people complain that these type of sensors (they don't have the Crimestopper brand) have issues with dirt or mositure/condensation on the sensors. Have you experienced any thing similar with your model?

Old 01-17-2007, 05:40 PM

Fins....thanks for the info. One last question......how difficult was it to remove the rear tailight in order to splice the wires? How did you do it? Also, I saw a pic on another forum where someone had bought a top mount and placed it on their rearview mirror...looked pretty good.

Mountainbiker.....I have read various opinions on the backup sensors as well. I have learned from my research that the people who have purchased the Backstopper from Crimestopper were pleased with the system. Individuals who purchased from other companies were not.

I purchased the Backstopper on ebay this morning.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:30 PM

RutDogg and Fins do you know what model Backstopper you ordered? It seems like there are a couple of different models, e.g., 5004, 5005, 5006, 5011, 5012.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:36 AM

Here's the one I bought on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...;rd=1&rd=1

They make a couple different mounts......top mount, under mount and surface mount for the LED display. You have to decide which way you want to mount it. I purchased the top mount thinking that I will either mount it on top of my rear view mirror or on the left side of my dash.

Old 01-18-2007, 01:32 AM

5006. Surface mount for trucks. I believe that this model has a longer LED cable. To date, I haven't had any false triggers. So far, the sensors have survived a few 'wand-washes', rain and lots of ice during the past week. I also mounted the controller box inside the bumper. I was hesistant to do this initially, as there are 7 sets of wires that plug into the controller. However, I called tech support at Crimestopper and he told me that there was absolutely no problem in doing so. He's gettting a telephone call if he's wrong.

The system does get a daily workout thanks to my neighbor's shrubs. One of these days, the sensors will malfunction and his precious shrubs will be mulch! [:@]

Mountainbiker- passenger tailight much easier than the hinge side. Plus, that's the only one I could pop off. You will see 2 screws. Remove. 2 friction clips hold the lens on the outer side. Pull straight back. My lens gave me a hard time.

Quick Reply: Just Got my H3 Woa! Need backup camera kit HELP!