PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Just bought an H2 Adding Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 03:46 PM
Default Just bought an H2 Adding Cold Air Intake

I just bought an H2. It has 52,000 miles on it. I just spoke with Airdoc about adding a cold air intake and high performance filter. I am looking for ways to get more HP without doing a stroker rebuild or adding a super charger. Can someone suggest some upgrades I can do for less than $2500.00 to add some HP? Thanks!

Old 07-28-2017, 04:31 PM

Much like the GM pickups the factory air intake is actually quite good and pulls all of the air from inside the fender while most aftermarket ones actually pull hotter air in from the engine bay....

You could do just an intake tube though. Aftermarket ones will likely be a little smoother for the airflow (and a bit louder). Air intake stuff is good for a few HP but realistically not much more.

Full long tube headers, high flow cats, cat back exhaust.
Make sure everything else is clean and tuned up like plugs, plug wires, clean MAF, clean throttle body, etc. Then get a custom tune done by a reputable shop.

Not much else after that without going into the engine and/or going to forced induction.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:37 PM

Thanks for your reply? Anyone know of a good custom tune shop in the Denver Colorado area?

Old 07-28-2017, 06:14 PM

No idea on that. There are mail order tunes as well which are also quite good. If you buy a Diablosport Intune get in touch with Lew (Lewis). http://www.diablewtune.com He does good work and also sells the Intune device. Black Bear Performance also does good work and they also do traveling tunes to different places. http://www.blackbearperformance.com/ - they use EFI Live devices...

Both are very highly regarded and well known. Either are excellent options. Of course a live dyno tune will be the best but for remote tuning those two are the best out there that I'm aware of for gas GM tuning.

Dig around some here on the forums and you can find threads detailing what many have done on here for performance mods, myself included. The OBX headers and GMPP exhaust I put on along with the tune up and some custom tuning really woke things up.

Last edited by MixManSC; 07-28-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:21 AM

Good advice as always from Mixman. I have no idea if there is any way to find a measurable difference but I add some Raybestos brake pad drag reduction clips to my H2.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:53 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by newh2owner
I just bought an H2. It has 52,000 miles on it. I just spoke with Airdoc about adding a cold air intake and high performance filter. I am looking for ways to get more HP without doing a stroker rebuild or adding a super charger. Can someone suggest some upgrades I can do for less than $2500.00 to add some HP? Thanks!
Congratulations on the low miles hummer score. May I throw down some hummer advice.

Have a high dollar disposable hummer kitty fund available at all times. Hummer love comes at an extortion price. Oh ya, there like them high maintenance call girls only this time its yours to keep, as long as there's money to continually throw at it.

The first thing your going to have to throw money down on is the transmission if you want a beast. hummers can't pull a paper bag down the road without giving up the stock tranny. So you better have at least $2500 dollars ready to go for your new love.

I am suspicious of low mile hummers. The reason being, you got a long and winding road ahead filled with costly moments if you wanna beef up the new love.

Any way, don't listen to me, just enjoy it.

Remember, don't pull anything bigger than a paper bag behind it unless your ready to buy a new tranny.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:49 AM

Wow!!! Thanks for all the advice. I just bought new tires so yes I can see that I am going to have some expenses, lol. Would I be crazy to even think about buying a 402 stroker kit? LOL

Old 07-29-2017, 11:54 AM

Looking into the Diablosport Intune today.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:07 PM

I have a Volant box with AirDoc tube I had to modify to work with the Volant box. Beautiful set up though. Does it do anything noticeable for power, no. You are going to need a completely different drive train or forced induction as mentioned for any major increase in power.

It is an H2. They are fat *** old ladies that drive like a semi. When mine was my DD I rarely drove it over 2k RPM, I could care less if people were zipping around me.

Given their age and issues when they were much younger, you will face quite a few issues. These are old vehicles, even though much ahead of their time, still getting up there in age.

I recently replaced my entire front steering minus the gearbox just as a preventative measure. Having an H2 fund isn't a bad idea especially if it is your DD.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:21 AM

+1 for the airdoc, factory filter box, high flow cats, long tube headers, borla cat back and a tune by black bear. Couldn't be happier, Truck drives much smoother and sharper on through traffic.

Quick Reply: Just bought an H2 Adding Cold Air Intake