PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

JET CHIPS

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: JET CHIPS

I knew a guy that worked in the R&D department for Exxon/Mobile that said the exact same thing; there is more detergents and cleaning agents in the higher octane then there is higher octane. He basically said if you stick with a reputable brand name gasoline, ie BP, then you shouldn't have to worry about dirty gas. I'm not one to believe everything I hear though, but then again, I am the sucker who just installed a magic magnet on my gas line just because I was curious, and know damn well it isn't going to do anything but make me look stupid

Old 08-08-2006, 09:12 PM

That's interesting about th Magnets...Just last night I watched some auto-myth-buster type of show and it proved the Magnets actually lowered the mileage by .8MPG..They also tested the infamous Turbonator or Tornado contraptions you put in the intake before the throttle body..BUSTED!!... it actually decreased the mileage too, by about 1.3 MPG...They also tested the pill you drop into the fuel..turns out they are nothing but naptha crystals..(Moth *****).

Old 08-08-2006, 09:16 PM

I have first hand knowledge of the Vortex Valve. I bought one for both my Corolla and H3. I tried it every way, inside outside upside down and didn't gain anything or loos anything. BUSTED AGAIN!!!

Old 08-08-2006, 09:23 PM

All I know is what I was told by a BP representative. I am no expert on fuel, just relaying information. If you feel that 93 is better for the JET, then go for it. It certainly will not hurt anything but your wallet--lol

Old 08-08-2006, 09:59 PM

The thing I've learned about these Programmers..Are all they do for the most part, is advance your spark and fuel ratio..This makes the engine want to fire earier in crank rotation, so then to deter predetonation (pinging)..the Higher octane is needed....usually 91 or more is enough...This will boost HP and torque moderately...Mine went up about 12HP at the wheels with a tune for 89 octane.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

I have tried all that stuff too. Why did I ever think a stupid piece of sheet metal bent to look like a warped propeller would make me get anything out of my Isuzu Rodeo, when the Air intake took a 90 degree bend anyway?

Yeah, I tried the stuff also, and the magic pills, and the Tornado (in which the company is now being sued for false advertising and misleading it's customers).

I have heard from my Camaro junkies that advancing the timing in any car can cause excessive stress on your piston heads and cause more pressure on your rings. I don't know if this is true, but that is what always stopped me from doing anything with the computer. Being a computer guy for a living, I know how it all works, but still am hesitant to do it. Maybe when this new JET chip comes out, I'll take a chance on it.

I still think the best thing you can do for your H3 is put a CAI kit on it and a new exhaust system. It's not that much of a dramatic change to the engine as a SuperCharger is, and from what I hear, most dealers won't BS you and say it voids your warranty.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:28 PM

Adds 20 hp at what?, 5600rpm. Ask them what that will mean in the usable power range of 2500-4000 rpm; maybe 8-10hp?

Old 08-09-2006, 05:33 PM

It looks like a decent increase through out the power band. I am basing everything I say on what they show on their website for the Chevy Colorado 3.5L. They don't have any dyno results on there for the Colorado, but the ones they show for other motors seem to show a pretty uniform increase across the board.