PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Intermittent surge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Default Intermittent surge?

Hey all,
I have this intermittent surge or miss or something.
Basically what it is doing is every now and then, depending on the gear or the rpms, the truck will feel like it is being held back then it feels fine... or it will show on the tach the rpms going up and down a couple of times (usually its goes up or down ~200-300 rpm). It doesnt always do it, and it doesnt always show issues on the tach... ie. the being held back feeling is usually when I am driving or maybe accelerating.

Not sure what is going on. If it is trans related, fuel related, maf related, ignition related, or whatever
Given I dont have any CELs and even when I use my ELM code scanner nothing is picked up... which I know doesnt mean much, but still no CELs.

So just wondering what you guys think it is.... so I dont have to completely rip apart the rig trying to find it.

Thanks

Old 05-03-2014, 08:11 PM

I responded to you in the other forum............

Old 05-03-2014, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by jsbihn
Hey all,
I have this intermittent surge or miss or something.
Basically what it is doing is every now and then, depending on the gear or the rpms, the truck will feel like it is being held back then it feels fine... or it will show on the tach the rpms going up and down a couple of times (usually its goes up or down ~200-300 rpm). It doesnt always do it, and it doesnt always show issues on the tach... ie. the being held back feeling is usually when I am driving or maybe accelerating.

Not sure what is going on. If it is trans related, fuel related, maf related, ignition related, or whatever
Given I dont have any CELs and even when I use my ELM code scanner nothing is picked up... which I know doesnt mean much, but still no CELs.

So just wondering what you guys think it is.... so I dont have to completely rip apart the rig trying to find it.

Thanks
Sounds like your cat might be starting to plug up

Old 05-04-2014, 06:41 AM

Thanks for responding FYR :-D

And EG, I am wondering that now that you mentioned it since my cats are pretty bad. I mean it sounds like I am shaking a can full of rocks when ever my motor is running

Old 05-04-2014, 07:51 AM

I had a similar problem and i couldnt figure it out either then one day I had my fuel system cleaned for like 90 bucks at one of those jiffy lube places and oh my god what a difference it made it was like night and day with the acceleration and totally eliminated the feeling of being held back when i accelerated. How many miles do you have on yours I only had 71200 mi. when i was having the problems.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:28 AM

given i did fog the crap out of it.... but then again that isnt a pressurized cleaning.

I might have to look into that too. thanks

Old 05-04-2014, 02:40 PM

Thanks for responding FYR :-D

And EG, I am wondering that now that you mentioned it since my cats are pretty bad. I mean it sounds like I am shaking a can full of rocks when ever my motor is running
If your hearing rattling in the cat's I would definitely check them out.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:00 AM

I would check the cats and the fuel pressure. When you change the cats you need to make sure your O2 sensors are working good. If they have 100k miles on them it's time to replace them with some new Bosch or AC Delco sensors.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:19 PM

Actually my plan was to cut and delete the cats and plug in a 02 sim.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:00 PM

Actually my plan was to cut and delete the cats and plug in a 02 sim.
Can you explain more on this ,sounds interesting.

Quick Reply: Intermittent surge?