PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Installing New Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by White Wolf
What is the difference between the GM sport and GM touring exhaust. Does one come with a resonator? I have been searching for a picture of the to do a side by side.
The touring is quieter due to having two mufflers...same locations as the OEM mufflers (one under pass side, one under rear of truck) they are just hi-flow mufflers. The Performance (sport) has only one hi-flow muffler (rear). Both touring and performance are dual exhaust.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by branstone
i did it myself, it was easy. then i took it to local muffler place and he welded all the joints , charged me $20
Is getting the joints welded recommended or did you just do it as a extra precaution?

- Jason

Old 04-27-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by jvorpahl
Is getting the joints welded recommended or did you just do it as a extra precaution?

- Jason
I had the joints welded from the cat back, except the tips so I can remove them when going off road, if needed.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by jvorpahl

- Jason
I did it because i was getting some rattling, and kept having to tighten the clamps. Got tired of dealing with it.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:16 PM

I just took my first drive w/the new exhaust. Very nice I must say. I had Midas do it for $120. It was the only shop that would give me an exact price. The others said between 1 and 2 hours so anywhere from $100 - $200. A little more than I wanted to spend but it beats doing it myself (I don't have a garage, sawzall, or lift).

- Jason

Old 05-01-2011, 10:33 AM

Well I've had the exhaust on there for 3 days and I notice when I start going over bumps it sounds like the exhaust is hitting on the bottom of the truck. I looked under there and the last hanger of the exhaust closest to the cat converter wasn't connected. That is right where it sounds like it hitting. The hanger on the exhaust is the right height but about 1.5 inches too short to go into the rubber hanger. Did anyone else have this issue w/the GM Performance Exhaust? Either my exhaust has a flaw in it or they change the positions of the rubber things on the 2010 H3 models. I called the guys at Midas who put it in and they said there was nothing they could do (it would've been nice if they told me this when I picked up the truck). I then called my usual mechanic today and he said any muffler shop could extend the hanger to make it fit (well anyone but the guys I talked to at Midas ). Just seeing if anyone has run into this before and had any suggestions.

- Jason

Last edited by jvorpahl; 05-01-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:49 PM

That sucks. Mine matched up on my '07 fine. Pretty crappy they didn't relocate that hanger, or like you said, at least tell you about it.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:12 PM

X2 that sucks! They didn't even tell you they didn't connect the hanger??

They should be able to weld on an extesnion or an brand new hanger that is the proper length. Check to see if they put the rubber isolators in the correct postition all the way down the new exhaust. Not sure if your exhaust has different length rubber isolators or not. This could also be your issue.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:41 AM

Tainter,

Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by rubber isolators? Those didn't come w/the exhaust as far as I know.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:15 AM

Don't mean to intrude but the rubber isolators are on there from the factory! They are what the system hangs from.

Quick Reply: Installing New Exhaust