PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Installed My Roof Marker Lights this Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Default RE: Installed My Roof Marker Lights this Weekend

ORIGINAL: HUMMER DRIVER

Damn that looks so frikkin good! So much cleaner than the factory markers with the big plastic plate and I'm sure it's quieter too.

I've got my Chevy cab lights by Pacer ordered. It'll probably be home when I get back there the end of the week. I'm in Tenn. this week working.

Robday, you mentioned problems with the outside lamps. How are they mounted, are they just screwed into the black plastic runner and then the wire goes down through the metal roof right under that? Are the lamp assembly retaining screws self tapping?

Also, you mentioned running those wires down the pillars and having to drill holes to fish out the wires. Did you have to run the right corner lamp wire down the right pillar and the left corner lamp wire down the left pillar?

In my mind I was thinking I'd tie all 5 hot wires to one single wire and tee off that wire to each lamp and run the main wire down the driver's side column down to the gray wire inside the side of the dash as shown on one of the other threads and run ground wires to the lamp retaining screws that touch the metal roof.

If you did it different could you elaborate on how you did it.

I have no desire to re-invent the wheel here. I think I may have to take a valium just to get the stones to drill 15 holes in the roof. *LOL* I've read the other threads and no one has really mentioned specifically how they tied all the wires in and how the outer lamps actually mount.
The problem I had with the side lamps was there was another layer of metal between the headliner and the roof which prevented me from being able to get to the wires from the lights on the side. There was just no way I could get to them and I did not have a drill bit that was long enough to drill throught the black plastic and then the 2 layers of metal. So I found another spot closer to the windsheild and drilled a hole there and was able to get the wires very easily from above the headliner. You really should not have to worry about accidently drilling through the headliner unless you use a really long drill bit.

The way I ran the wires isjust like in other members posts. I had one main "hot" wire that ran to the gray wire and spliced all the wires from the lights to it. I ran this wire down the driver's A pillar. I grounded the wires into the the screws that went into the roof and the 2 side lamps I grounded into the bolt that fastens the roof rails to the truck.

The side lamps are just screwed into the plastic, but it is a really tight fit. The screws are not self tapping. I drilled 1/8 holes for all the screw hole and I think 3/8 for the wire holes. Make sure you add at least 10 inches of wire to the Pacer lamps to make it easier to work with when t'ing them to the main "hot" wire.

It is actually rather easy to do but working to grab the wires when you run them thru can be a bit frustrating if you do not have someone else to help. Also make sure you use masking tape to mark and measure out where you want your lamps. I marked and then placed the lamps to see if they looked right before I drilled anything.

Thanks for all the replies and if you have any more questions please ask I will try to get back to you as soon as I can.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:31 PM

Thanks for the reply Rob, I get what you're doing there. I'll understand better when I actually get in there and size things up, now I know the path of least resistance. I guess the fear of flying is much worse than actually doing it. I'll post some pics when I get'er done.

Mark, regarding getting an extra lamp just in case, I found a guy that sells them at a good price. I ordered two for backup. Thanks for the idea.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:51 PM

If I have a few margaritas we might even shave 30 minutes off that!
Give me a holler too... I'm good at supervising......I dont have a tazer, do you think a Glock would get you going with that drill?

Old 02-20-2008, 04:56 PM

A Glock would indeed be a motivator.... but you'd have to be careful that Gunner doesn't take it from you and shoot up my damn garage trying to get the safety off.

A Margarita would be the best teaser for me and a slab of fajitas to go with would be the charm.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:28 PM

I think you have done a great job and I too think they look better than the OEM marker lights

Again great job !

Old 02-20-2008, 09:49 PM

A Glock would indeed be a motivator.... but you'd have to be careful that Gunner doesn't take it from you and shoot up my damn garage trying to get the safety off.
I have a Class III MAC to use for that...............[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 02-20-2008, 09:55 PM

Just got home, my lights are here. They look great, they'll look much better mounted. I've got too much going on this weekend to attempt the install but hope to have them on in a few weeks. I was able to buy two extra lamps just in case.

Gunner, I'll holler at you when I think I'm going to install them, if you can it'd be great to swing by and watch me drill holes in my Hummer.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:08 AM

Quite impressive buddy - m looking at getting it done from a the dealership in Dubai [2008 H3], hope its not very expensive & time consuming here....cud u suggest me somegenuine online accessory websites for such stuff - with proven prompt & proper delivery?

Old 03-22-2009, 02:20 PM

Hi i really like these where can i get them?any links? is there any way i can get OEM looking ones?

Old 03-28-2009, 08:07 PM

They look real good and I bet they don't make the noise the OEM models do. LOL

Quick Reply: Installed My Roof Marker Lights this Weekend