PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Installed My Roof Marker Lights this Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Default Installed My Roof Marker Lights this Weekend

Took me about half a day, was not real difficult. There is just no room to work with above the headliner, forget about it on the driver's side,the steering wheel gives you zero room. Ran into a problem with the 2 outside lights, could not find the wires when I dropped them through, ended up drilling 2 more holes for easy access to them, I figured what the heck already drilled 15 holes what's 2 more. Thanks to all that made posts on how you did it, gave me the inspiration to do it myself and save $1100.[8D]
Name:  DSC03354.jpg
Views: 4548
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  DSC03353.jpg
Views: 5752
Size:  37.8 KB

Old 02-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Default RE: Installed My Roof Marker Lights this Weekend

Looks good Robday; you guys are making me want to take my OEM's off and reinstall them this way.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:37 PM

Looks great. Of course I am a LITTLE biased:

[IMG]local://upfiles/3007/CB003B86907D43729C83A86E506A4C7C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Nice job, looks good. My wife liked the factory ofg lights because they " looked cute" so that is what we have on the 3.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:43 AM

The one second from the left looks off by 3 cm.

LOL [8D]

Good job! Want to do mine next?

Old 02-19-2008, 06:56 AM

Damn that looks so frikkin good! So much cleaner than the factory markers with the big plastic plate and I'm sure it's quieter too.

I've got my Chevy cab lights by Pacer ordered. It'll probably be home when I get back there the end of the week. I'm in Tenn. this week working.

Robday, you mentioned problems with the outside lamps. How are they mounted, are they just screwed into the black plastic runner and then the wire goes down through the metal roof right under that? Are the lamp assembly retaining screws self tapping?

Also, you mentioned running those wires down the pillars and having to drill holes to fish out the wires. Did you have to run the right corner lamp wire down the right pillar and the left corner lamp wire down the left pillar?

In my mind I was thinking I'd tie all 5 hot wires to one single wire and tee off that wire to each lamp and run the main wire down the driver's side column down to the gray wire inside the side of the dash as shown on one of the other threads and run ground wires to the lamp retaining screws that touch the metal roof.

If you did it different could you elaborate on how you did it.

I have no desire to re-invent the wheel here. I think I may have to take a valium just to get the stones to drill 15 holes in the roof. *LOL* I've read the other threads and no one has really mentioned specifically how they tied all the wires in and how the outer lamps actually mount.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:39 AM

Yo.....HD,

Let me know when you get ready to do it.... and work schedule permitting, I could
come by and at the very least, lend some moral support.....

OR....

Laugh at you when you drill a hole through the head liner......

Seriously though, if you'd like a hand and I'm off on that day...I wouldn't mind helping.

Just a thought for everyone that bought the Pacers. I wonder if it wouldn't be advisable
to buy a few extra lights/components now to guard against future breakage and
a possible discontinuance of this particular model light. That would really suck to
whack one with a tree limb and not be able to find a matching light later on.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:11 AM

Nice look!

Old 02-19-2008, 05:28 PM

Hey Mark,

Good point regarding having a spare or two if they indeed discontinued them next year or whatever. That would suck. However, I'll keep that in mind, not sure if I'd buy a full second set but will check into singles or if there are other lamps that use the same bolt template.

Yea, it'd be a bummer to break one of those lamps on a limb or a wayward beer bottle.

Also, depending on your schedule and mine, we ought to get together. I may need someone to threaten me with a taser to drill the damn hole or like you said, laugh at me when I shank the headliner.

As you know, I travel extensively during the week but I'm normally home on the weekends and sometimes on Friday too. I know your schedule flexes into your weekend sometimes so we'll have to see. Just because I'll get the lights this week doesn't mean I'm charing the drill for this weekend.

I've got a new Les Paul guitar coming this week and I'll likely be tinkering with that and my vinyl cutter too.

Anyhoo, I'll holler at you when I get ready to pull the drill trigger! And, if you want get a set for yourself, after doing mine I bet we can do yours in about two hours.

If I have a few margaritas we might even shave 30 minutes off that!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:09 PM

Nice job. Looks good.Name:  thumbsup.gif
Views: 1174
Size:  3.2 KB

Quick Reply: Installed My Roof Marker Lights this Weekend