PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

improving H3 mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Banned
Default just for the record,,,

so i just went out with 3 pieces of paper towell, and rubbed hard in the x pipes of 07 h3,3.7,,95 pontiac transport,3.8,v6,,and 90 turbo probe,4 cyl.

all are fed the cheapest straight gas i can buy.

the probe was cleanest with no trace

the others show a faint trace. pont,135k, h3 51k.
i have not seen soot since my last carburated v8 with a stuck carb float!!!

i still say theres not much that can be done,that pays off, other than; hard tires and a soft foot. and of course to cut your gas cost 20 %, drive 20% less.

tom

Old 06-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Default Hmmmmmmm.

so i just went out with 3 pieces of paper towell, and rubbed hard in the x pipes of 07 h3,3.7,,95 pontiac transport,3.8,v6,,and 90 turbo probe,4 cyl.

all are fed the cheapest straight gas i can buy.

the probe was cleanest with no trace
????????????????

Did you use black paper towels? How about just bending over and LOOKING at them. Can you honestly say they are not black? I did this at a GM\Hummer Dealer on brand new Hummers and Chevrolet cars and trucks. The dealer also said he had never noticed any residue on his vehicles exhausts ... the result ... EVERY ONE had black residue on the inside of the exhaust. The "Unser Racing Team" uses fuel re-formulators in their Formula 1 race cars, and they were the first to demonstrate what "cleaner burning fuel" really means to our environment with this very simple test. As I said, Both my H3's have Corsa cat-back exhaust systems with CHROME exhaust tips, chrome on the outside and on the inside. A quick inside-tailpipe wipe before-and-after using a fuel re-formulator yielded very dramatic results.

If your stock vehicle(s) have spotless emissions without doing anything that's really great. For the other 99.99% of us maybe a fuel re-formulator can help.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by runamok
????????????????

EVERY ONE had black residue on the inside of the exhaust
I feel better after reading your observation.......my Alpha has black residue in the tailpipes, and I was concerned it may be running rich

Old 06-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Banned
Default a faint trace

no soot!!! a very faint smudge on the pontiac 135k miles,the h3 the same,what can i say

i can mail you the smudge test if you doubt!!!

years ago, carbs were a compromize from idle to full rpm, today fuel injection is very precise.
example, the probe trip computer monitored the pulsewidth of the injector volts to calculate mileage with amazing accuracy. they know exactly the fuel ratio.

i suppose a fuel modification could make a difference, but not worth the time or expense for me.

tom

Old 06-08-2010, 11:25 AM

I have a 2006 H3 Adv with 285/75/16's, a K&N filter (no CAI) and I drive about 80% highway. I am consistently at 17 mpg in the winter and 18.5 in the summer. I have even reached 19 on four tankfuls. I drive it like a grandpa, but it helps. Tire pressure kept at 38-40. Keep the transfer case fresh. I use fuel system cleaner every oil change, not sure if that helps.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:32 AM

I already put my 2 cents in earlier, but seeing all these replies with you guys getting 17-19mpg is making me wonder if something is wrong with mine. I get 15-16 no matter what I do. And I drive about 80% highway, alot of mountain driving which could be the culprit. I got 16 since day 1 and since then I have, installed 285/75/16 a/ts, alignment, k&n filter, magnaflow cat back(bought it used tho)royal purple diffs, clean transfer case and tranny and no increase!
anyway, I'm just trying to keep my truck in perfect running condition and if that helps the mileage, great..if not, well I'll have a truck that I love that'll last for years which is what I really care about.

By the way, I did come up with a great way to save gas during my commute though....I bought a motorcycle! Haha..but seriously, I drive 55 miles roundtrip, which at 3 bucks a gallon cost me about $10 bucks a day. With a motorcycle it's about $4 a day. So say I rode my bike to work 100 times a year, that's $600 that's paying off my motorcycle instead of these oil tycoons.
Just an idea

Old 06-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Banned
Default great idea!,, mthoodh3

i call it resource allocation!,,or realocation

i posted b4 about quiting pepsi and saving abt 100 bucks/mo. thats lots of gas and im healthier.
if any tree hugger bitches about a hummer, they, like "algore" probably use more energy than us.

the tragic oil spill proves one thing, theres plenty of oil still around,prob a hundred years worth.

drive on!!

tom

Old 09-24-2012, 11:45 PM

I changed out to the Jet Module and found no significant fuel mileage increase. If anything it dropped. Power at low end seemed a bit smoother though. I agree with some posts, a lighter foot and harder tires seems to work the best. I am going to look into an obd link and use my android phone to monitor things. I'll let you all know what happens. Anyone know about tire sizing I have a 2007 H3 Tactical Edition with 4.56 gearing. Will a larger tire be beneficial or a handicap wit fuel mileage.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:01 AM

Holy sh** man this thread is two years DEAD.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:23 AM

cruise at 65 mph on the interstate with the other big trucks, at least with my 5speed I can squeeze out 22-23mpg, doesn't cost a penny

averaged 19.3 on my last tank

if an intake or PCMtune saves you 1 mpg(assuming your driving style stays the same as it was before the mod, and you don't get excited with the added 5hp at 5000 rpm), it could take you 100 fill ups before you recoup the $350 it took for the mod. If you fill up every other week, it could take you 4 years to break even. In those 4 years would you be sure to eliminate all new variables that could decrease your mpg(roof rack, brushguard, bigger tires)?

Quick Reply: improving H3 mileage?