PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Important Advice:Check Your Tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:13 AM
Default Important Advice:Check Your Tires

I realize alot ofpeople upgrade wheels/tires, but I had the original Goodyear Wranglers on my 06 H3 (37,000 miles). I took a trip from Houston to Florida and did the usual pre-trip stuff-oil change, rotate tires, etc. The tread lookedgood, probably another 20,000 miles of life. On the return trip, I was pulling a 5x8 trailer and had a flat on it. Pulled into a Discount Tire to get new trailer tires and was asked if I wanted new tires for the Hummer. I thought the guy was pulling my leg. Went out and looked and where the tread meets the sidewall, every indention had "popcorn bumps". The steel belts were slipping, starting to come out the side of the tireand eventually the tread would separate from the tire. The manager came out and said Goodyear was aware of the issue and will pro-rate and pay towards new tires. He also said they're changing alot of Avalanche tires for the same problem. Well I wasn't aware of this "issue" and it's possible some of you may benefit from this info. I haven't read anything in this forum about it, but if I missed it-sorry for the repeat. Yes, with 900 miles left to get home and also pulling a trailer, I purchased a new set of tires (not Goodyear).

The safety implication here is great, from possible rollover to tearing up a fenderwell. So do yourself and your family a favor and go out and look at your tires. If this info helps just one person, it was worth the post.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Default RE: Important Advice:Check Your Tires

Interesting. I have bumps on the sidewall of one of my Goodyear tires, I brought it in to a Goodyear store, and they said it was road damage, and I would have to replace the tire at my cost. I swapped it for the spare and now I am waiting to upgrade to 35's.