PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

I'm going off-roading with these on

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default I'm going off-roading with these on

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-08...em#ht_1871wt_0

These are the exact ones I have. The bolt holes are rusting and almost to the point where I may have one more time getting the bolts back into the chasis holes before they get stripped. The last time I took them off and back on, I made sure to put anti-sieze compound on the bolts just in case.

I figure I'll take my chances with these on and if they get ruined, I'll have an excuse to my wife to buy the rocker panels with detachable steps

Old 04-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Default RE: I'm going off-roading with these on

If you are heading offroad with those I would bring a pry bar and a strap with you just in case. Sometimes when they get bent they can push into the tire giving you an unwanted parking brake. When I bent mine just a bit I tied a rope to it and pulled them back into place with the help of another vehicle. I quickly replaced them with the Rocky Road sliders.

Watched an older Ford Explorer last weekend get his steps bent up enough that he couldn't open his doors.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:45 PM

Suggestion! Take them off before you go off roading! I think youmay bejust asking for trouble.You can get some new rock sliders even if you have side steps. I am sure they still sell them to anyone who will buy.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:40 PM

Name:  DSCF0692.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  79.2 KB
make sure that you do take them of as they do bend easy
speaking from expireance these are what i would recomend
to stop this
Name:  DSCF0551.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  13.4 KBName:  DSCF0556.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  12.8 KB

Old 04-17-2008, 04:10 PM

The rock sliders with the steps are the way to go, the bolt are welded to the steps so all you need is a ratching wrench and in 5 minutes your safe to drive off road. I got the OEM ones and wouldn't trade them in for anything.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

well if those bolt holes get stripped, i wont be screwing anything into them. I have them so my wife can get in and out of the truck easier, as well as her mother and my grandmother. I've taken them on and off so many times the threads in the holes are starting to wear. That's what I'm worried about.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:16 PM

Skippy,
Everytime I see pics of your truck it makes me want to get that 4 inch lift, awesome ride

Old 04-17-2008, 09:00 PM

Just took mine off and stuck them in the garage. Wife is 5'4" and has a slight stretch to get in but she manages. Besides, if she doesn't like it she can take hers. Understand about mom and grandma though. Do I need to plan on pulling out of the side of your truck in May?

Old 04-17-2008, 09:54 PM

ORIGINAL: SteveO

Skippy,
Everytime I see pics of your truck it makes me want to get that 4 inch lift, awesome ride
Seriously..that is an awesome ride Skippy. I really like the bare nose. Don't get a brush guard or winch, the frontal nudity makes it look even bigger.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:00 PM

It almost looks as good as that awesome Black Tactical he is up against in the ROTM contest

Quick Reply: I'm going off-roading with these on