PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

I'm considering an H3

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Banned
Default ! yikes,, gas is $4.00

Old 04-16-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by skeptic

Some people really believe the H3 is better than a Rubicon in any offroad situation. For me, my H3 can get me anywhere I want to go, and in more comfort than any Wrangler, making it the "better" wheeler. Kinda like Mustang vs. Camaro. They play leapfrog of who is the fastest, but as long as it's fast enough does it really matter that some other car is faster? Same with the H3 for me, offroad it's good enough to get me anywhere I want to go - doesn't matter to me that a Rubicon can do some things better. Sure, I'd rather my H3 had SFA with electronic sway bar disconnects (at a slight expense of on-road manners), but the overall package is what best meets my needs.

Except for the storage space thing once the wife dumps our Avalanche, which is why after only 5 or so months I'm looking to trade-in my H3 for an H3t... Why couldn't she tell me before I bought the H3 that she wanted to dump the Avalanche??
You just had to get the last word in, didn't you.

Well, you are absolutely correct. Every purpose built vehicle is a compromise of some sort. My Land Rover buddies can take me in the sand, but can't even begin to hang with me in the swamps and over obstacles. The Rube can walk away rock climbing, but I have places where I can leave them behind. And the list goes on, of course.

Overall, I like my Hummerette. Yeah, it's not a real Hummer, but then an H1 could not follow me through the north woods because it's too wide. So, it's all compromise.

Sorry about your wife's decision. Why don't you tell her to go get her own vehicle and leave yours alone? I did that, and she went out and bought a Cadillac SRX, and has never been happier.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by drtom
Or even just a regular roof rack (like I was planning to get for camping) would take care of most things. Sometimes though you just need to haul big bulky things and need more space than an H3 has.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Banned

my point was, anything on the roof costs gas mileage,,,now if i can just get that darn onstar antenna off,,,!

Old 04-16-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by drtom
my point was, anything on the roof costs gas mileage,,,now if i can just get that darn onstar antenna off,,,!
Yup, I'd rather pull a small trailer than put stuff on the roof.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:23 PM

If your considering an H3 i will give you my 2 cents and say go for it. I live in central mn an my H3 has blown right through every foot of snow and drifts that we got last winter. Its great for everyday driving too and I have received a lot of compliments. Its unique and there arent a ton of them around. (at least not around here.) However, i would look around and find a good deal rather than get the first one you see. I looked for a few months before I found mine. got it for 23k. 09 adv pkg with 30k miles. Like any vehicle on the dealer lot, remember the sticker price is not the final price. Don't be afraid to negotiate, especially if you know one has been on the lot for awhile. Dealers want to cycle through inventory.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:33 PM

New Hummer owner here. I have had my 07 Lux for 3 weeks and one day. So far, I love it. Had 59K on it and I got it for $20,990. Have not had it offroad and really don't intend to do that much (owned 2 Wranglers and 1 Cherokee) but when the mood strikes me I'm sure it will be capable. I like the way it drives, the way it looks, and it is very comfortable. As someone else stated, the gas mileage ain't great, but any other SUV this size and AWD is getting the same or worse.

I worry about maintenance down the road since they have stopped producing them, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

daveboy

Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 AM

I loved my 06 lux pkg H3! Climbed every sand hill at Silver Lake Sand Dunes in MI. Traded it for a GTO. Tomorrow I pick up a 09 H3 with Adventure, Lux, nav, 22k for $24700. The dealer didn't know what he had! I am traveling 300 miles to pick it up but well worth the savings. Around here in MI it is about $3-4K more for the same truck. Best of luck with what ever year you end up with. You won't be sorry.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:32 PM

Well it seems I'll be hawking the forums quite a bit considering there's an h3 sitting in the drive/mud way now.

Just shy of 500 of my miles on it, 17.5 mpg mixed so far and that's with plenty of hills it has to go up every day + a bit of pedal punching to get acquainted. So good for what I was looking for.

Will I off road with it? Probably not.
Does it handle the 6+ inch deep mud rut, pot hole filled, pile o' crap back roads that I'm surrounded by, no problems and quite smooth.

Fast food run? Horrible.

It's a fun vehicle anywhere.

Door handles and side mirrors just have a chrome (cap?) on them so can I just take these off? Violence and profanity while tugging on them in the middle of the afternoon? (can you tell I am vehicle incompetent?)

Rear tail light chrome, same thing, will caveman style removal work?

The louver is my biggest peeve, having trouble finding a cheapo black one online but I'm bound to find one eventually. I've seen a few other h3 around town, maybe I can ninja their louver if I see them in the parking lot and leave mine for them.. mmm...

And last question, something that seems to have turned up just the other day... or I just never noticed. Metal "dinging" sound underneath the front of the vehicle, basically sounds like someone flicking the back of a large pan. Does this for a few minutes after starting and turning off the vehicle so I kinda just write it off as cold metal piece heating up and hot metal piece cooling down.
But I'm always paranoid, is it normal?

Old 05-06-2011, 12:19 AM

Youkonho: Congrats on the new rig! If you want to wheel your new H3 send me a PM with your email address. We ( about 10 of us) try to get out at least every month. Rocks & Valleys, Drummond Island, Etc. Where are you located?

Guestwho: Congrats on the new rig! PM me some pix of the hood thingy and handles. I've got a spare stock black one I may trade you. My cousin loves chrome and his B-day os coming up!

Quick Reply: I'm considering an H3