PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

I'm considering an H3

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Default I'm considering an H3

Been looking for something with decent ground clearance and 4x4 to be my 'new' snow mule for winter nightmares... and of course something that doesn't feel like it's falling apart on pot hole ridden, frost heave plagued, chewed up, stupid length of what the state deems a "road". So I'm driving by the dealer and in the corner of my eye I glance an H3 sitting in their lot. I know nothing about these trucks, aside from the poor gas mileage and mass blind spots, but I think can get over that. So 4 seconds on google and I wind up here with a number of questions that I hope someone can answer for me! I am completely H3 incompetent so a general idea to this one would be greatly appreciated. 1.) The dealer has a 2006 h3 "luxury" with 74,000 miles on it for (as they told me) $16,900, a ball park question but if anyone out there can tell me, is this an average or fair price for this? 2.) Engine question, are they reliable? 74k miles and as an extreme pessimist makes me worry about it's reliability... a lot. 3.) Is "luxury" as off-road worthy as the "adventure"? 4.) I know of only 1 other h3 in the distant area that's a 2008 "luxury" with 44k miles, perhaps a better choice in the 2008 if the 06 has any quirks? Thanks to everyone with their wonderful answers!

Old 04-12-2011, 10:59 PM

(Second try: Where's the edit button!? For some reason the original post didn't like my spaces, hope this comes out neater.)

Been looking for something with decent ground clearance and 4x4 to be my 'new' snow mule for winter nightmares... and of course something that doesn't feel like it's falling apart on pot hole ridden, frost heave plagued, chewed up, stupid length of what the state deems a "road".

So I'm driving by the dealer and in the corner of my eye I glance an H3 sitting in their lot. I know nothing about these trucks, aside from the poor gas mileage and mass blind spots, but I think can get over that. Well I turn to all might google and 4 seconds later I wind up here, with a number of questions that I hope someone can answer for me!

I am completely H3 incompetent so a general idea to this one would be greatly appreciated.
1.) The dealer has a 2006 h3 "luxury" with 74,000 miles on it for (as they told me) $16,900, a ball park question but if anyone out there can tell me, is this an average or fair price for this?

2.) Engine question, are they reliable? 74k miles and as an extreme pessimist makes me worry about it's reliability... a lot.

3.)
Is "luxury" as off-road worthy as the "adventure"?

4.)
I know of only 1 other h3 in the distant area that's a 2008 "luxury" with 44k miles, perhaps a better choice in the 2008 if the 06 has any quirks?

Thanks to everyone with their wonderful answers!

Old 04-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Banned

do some reading here,find a lot of 06 head problems. expensive out of warr.

h3 is a great,fun ride. i had a 07 used lux,LOVED the ride. went from 37k to 56k in 14 mo! so i got a fresh one,when there were 37 left in new inv. its a adv,should resell good down the road but i lost my lux leather,i miss, and its not the ride the lux was.
id look for 07,newer,lower miles.
i got my 07 at carmax,totally satisfied.

u will love the h3,,,former life long ford man!

Old 04-12-2011, 11:18 PM

Hope this helps! Try using the SEARCH function for questions also.

Option Packages:
2006 H3
Base-Cloth/standard radio/Black accents / 265/75R16(32”)
Adventure-Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents/4:1 transfer case/Rear Locker/ 285/75R16(33”)
Lux-Leather/Chrome
Option Package Combinations:
Base w/Adventure, Lux w/Adventure

2007 H3
Base Engine 3.7L I5
Option Packages:
Base-Cloth/standard radio/Black accents/ 265/75R16(32”)
Adventure-Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents/4:1 transfer case/Rear Locker/ 285/75R16(33”)
Lux-Leather/Chrome
Base w/Adventure, Lux w/Adventure

2008 H3
Base Engine 3.7L I5 Optional Engine: 5.3L V8 (Alpha only)
Option Packages:
Lux-Leather/Chrome
H3X-Leather/Chrome/18" wheels/Monsoon/Square Chrome Brushguard/ 265/65R18(32”)
Alpha-Leather/Chrome/Monsoon radio/Cast Iron Front Diff
OffRoad(only on Alpha) -4:1 transfer case/Rear Locker / 285/75R16(33”)
Base w/Adventure, Lux w/Adventure, Alpha/OffRoad

2009 H3 & H3T
Base Engine 3.7L I5 Optional Engine: 5.3L V8 (Alpha and Championship Edition only)
Option Packages:
Adventure- Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents/4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker//Cast Iron Front Diff/ 285/75R16(32”)
Lux-Leather/Chrome
H3X-Leather/Chrome/18" wheels/Monsoon/Square Chrome Brushguard/ 265/65R18(32”)
Championship Edition- V8, Cloth/Monsoon/Red Shocks and Brake Calipers/Hood Sticker/ 285/75R16(33”)
Alpha-Leather (Cloth optional on H3T)/ Chrome (Black optional H3T)/Monsoon radio/Cast Iron Front Diff
OffRoad(only on Alpha)-4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker/ Cast iron front diff/ 285/75R16(33”)
Base w/Adventure, Lux w/Adventure, Alpha/OffRoad, H3X/Alpha, Championship Edition, Alpha/Base(H3T only)

2010 H3 & H3T
Base Engine 3.7L I5 Optional Engine: 5.3L V8 Flex Fuel (Alpha only)
Option Packages:
Base- Cloth/standard radio/Black accents/ 265/75R16(32”)
Adventure- Cloth/Monsoon radio/Black accents/4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker/ /Cast Iron Front Diff
Lux- Leather/Chrome
Alpha-Cloth (Leather optional)/ Black Accents (Chrome optional)/Monsoon radio
OffRoad(only on Alpha)-4:1 transfer case/Front & Rear Locker/ Cast iron front diff/ 285/75R16(33”)
Base w/Adventure, Lux w/Adventure, Alpha/OffRoad, Alpha/Base(H3T only)

Old 04-13-2011, 11:03 AM

[QUOTE=GuestWho;248195
[B]1.)[/B] The dealer has a 2006 h3 "luxury" with 74,000 miles on it for (as they told me) $16,900, a ball park question but if anyone out there can tell me, is this an average or fair price for this?

2.) Engine question, are they reliable? 74k miles and as an extreme pessimist makes me worry about it's reliability... a lot.

3.)
Is "luxury" as off-road worthy as the "adventure"?

4.)
I know of only 1 other h3 in the distant area that's a 2008 "luxury" with 44k miles, perhaps a better choice in the 2008 if the 06 has any quirks?

QUOTE]

1. No idea on pricing, check Edmunds and other used sources.

2. I have 79K on a 2007 Adventure, no engine problems to speak of.

3. Luxury and Adventure are not mutually exclusive per se. Luxury refers to all the pretty and comfortable features. Adventure comes stock with the bigger tires, stiffer suspension, higher offroad gearing, and rear locker (front and rear in '09 & '10 models). BTW, don't trust any dealer when they tell you it's an Adventure - no locker select button(s) on the dash it ain't and Adventure.

4. Only issue with 06 was some head problems that should have been fixed a while ago and the fact that the '06 had the smaller 3.5L I5 versus the 3.7L for '07 and later. If you really crave power the Alpha has a V8 that costs more but everyone who has it seems to love it.

BTW, speaking of the bad gas mileage, look closer it's not out of line for any capable 4x4 mid-size SUV. With the right tires it will be a fine snow mule.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:19 AM

Not sure what I can add, but I had a 2006 H3 Luxury, which basically had everything you expect from a hummer h3, plus leather seats, appointments, sunroof, etc.

I never experienced any head problems, but mine had a supercharger and dual exhaust, etc.

The 2006 was hit by a pathfinder that blew a stop sign and was totaled.

Just got a 2010 Alpha.

Truthfully, the best SUV ever made, in my opinion.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:24 PM

I agree, Hummers are the best SUV out there. I'm so pissed that they dropped the brand. I don't think I'll ever love a truck as much as this. But anyway.

I just got a 2010 H3 Base model. It had 5,000 miles on it and was taken from the GM VIP/Executive pool. I was considering getting a H3 Lux but I needed a truck fast (my Jeep was dying a slow death and work wasn't happy w/all the calls from me telling them I'm going to be late b/c I am stuck on the highway and waiting for a tow) and the only Lux additions avaliable were more expensive, not my first choice of colors, and a more millage on them. So I went w/the base and am upgrading as I see fit (it was cheaper for the upgrades separately than paying for the Lux). I got Katzkin leather and heated seats added, got chrome mirrors and handles, bought the Lux floormats and Husky Liners for the winter, and am upgrading the stereo when I get my taxes back.

So I basically have the Lux version now and it was cheaper. I do miss my sunroof and heard the aftermarket ones can be a real problem so I'm going to pass on that. Also I don't do much off roading so no need for the adventure package. But I did a search on cars.com a few weeks ago and a local dealer just got in a bunch of H3 Luxs (6 of them) and they have one w/the color I wanted for just $1,500 more than I paid for mine (but 9,000 more mies). It figures but what can I do?

- Jason

Last edited by jvorpahl; 04-13-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:38 PM

I'm actually a Jeep guy, but I switched to an H3 because IMHO it's the best overall SUV IF you need offroad ability. It's not the nicest ride of any SUV, not the most luxurious, and not the best offroad (although I consider it second only to a Wrangler Rubicon in overall offroading). It is the best combination of those.

From what you (the OP) describes, my recommendation is to stick with an '07+ Adventure or Lux + Adv. Unless your offroad needs are limited to snowy roads in which case a base model or Luxury should be plenty. All models have AWD + traction control which should be ok for snowy roads. I live in UT and while I have used the rear locker offroad, I have not had any need of it on snowy roads.

Old 04-14-2011, 12:02 AM

Haven't been to the dealers yet but the 2007+ ones I've seen are just base I believe, will find out more tomorrow.

I've considered the Jeep Wrangler unlimited and being curious I'm hoping to test drive a new one next week. In the end I have no real interest in going truly off road but hey best bang for the buck and hoping the h3 dealer will offer a decent price.

I must say tho, the cargo space in the h3 is absolutely pitiful!

Old 04-14-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by GuestWho
Haven't been to the dealers yet but the 2007+ ones I've seen are just base I believe, will find out more tomorrow.

I've considered the Jeep Wrangler unlimited and being curious I'm hoping to test drive a new one next week. In the end I have no real interest in going truly off road but hey best bang for the buck and hoping the h3 dealer will offer a decent price.

I must say tho, the cargo space in the h3 is absolutely pitiful!
??? compared to a Jeep Unlimited it's fricken GIANT!

Quick Reply: I'm considering an H3