PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

ignition key fails

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Default ignition key fails

HEY.
HUMMER H3
This is my first post as a new member of this forum pls show understanding if any mistakes.
I turn the ignition key to start engine but the security light flashes indicating that system is locked .so starting of engine fails.
I try again by waiting 10 min and some times the engine starts.
I manage to have a comblete second hand steering column system with ignition lock and key, but system fails to start as it remains always lock

even if trying same procweedure as above .the engine cranks but not start
(ignite)

Old 09-04-2014, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome.

The best thing to do is use the search feature for "Passlock".

Here is another thread on the board with a similar issue in part. https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...g-start-33688/

Old 09-04-2014, 05:26 PM

That's right Doc, A TON OF INFORMATION ON THIS SITE!

Tonis, you can start here:

Originally Posted by hummerz

Quote:
The switch is available with the cylinder housing only. I removed the switch from the vehicle, and removed the switch from the new housing and installed the switch only.

I could have just cleaned the connector and contacts inside the old switch and it would have worked, however the new part was only 35 bucks, so I replaced the switch and cleaned the plug to the switch, and used dielectric grease before plugging back in.

Quote:

I installed the D1403G on my 07 (auto trans). The D1462G listed for manual trans (HOUSING - IGN & START SW~5 SPD MAN TRANS(MA5) - STRG COL(NP7) - TILT STRG COL(N33) - HAS SHAFT LOCK - INCLS PASSLOCK SENSOR)

Amazon has both for $38 free shipping..

__________________________________________________ ______________

Quote:
anyone interested in doing this

use this site for information on removing the knee bolster and steering column trim:

http://www.automx.co.za/htdocs/manua...rm_2008119.pdf

then you have access to clean the connector and contacts on the switch

If replacing the switch:

remove the connector, 2 screws, and turn igntion key to removed the switch.

You need to turn the new cylinder housing also to remove the new switch from the new housing.

I picked it up on amazon for 35bucks shipped over a year ago..
Acdelco D1403G, 2007 / auto trans.

Quote:
If replacing the switch, need 30min learn procedure:

30 Minute Learn Procedure
1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start.

3. Observe the SECURITY telltale; after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.

4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes; the
vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password.

__________________________________________________ ____________
Quote: Originally Posted by H3 Alpha Dog
As an update....installed the replacement 1403 today, which turned out to be the correct replacement for the original. Everything went without a hitch. I did not replace the entire housing, but instead the black switch at the end where the connection is. Followed all of Hummerz instructions in a previous post and will let you know if I have any future issues.

Two things of note, the plastic cover over the steering column needs a bit more force than I anticipated to separate (you don't need to remove the steering wheel or steering wheel cover), you need to use a pair of pliers to turn the inside of the new housing in order to remove the black switch at the end.

Last edited by hummerz; 09-04-2014 at 05:28 PM.