PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

if the 6.5L has a #8 design flaw.... then why no recall?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 01:00 AM
Default if the 6.5L has a #8 design flaw.... then why no recall?

i know some were changed under warranty but many were denied.. if this is a proven design flaw on the vehicle. then how come a recall was never issued?..

curious because with any other car manufacturer, this would mean a recall down the line.. regardless if the company has been dissolved, wouldn't GM still be responsible?

-riley

Old 01-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

The bad GM would be responsible. The new GM is off the hook. I am unaware of any that we're denied under warranty while in the warranty period. Some were even taken care of post warranty.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by 3hummers
The bad GM would be responsible. The new GM is off the hook. I am unaware of any that we're denied under warranty while in the warranty period. Some were even taken care of post warranty.

hummer im looking at denied the gentleman, he said.. unless you were close with the dealer or it had a blown engine/leaks into coolant system they said it was "ok" but seems to be they are all ticking time bombs.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Coolant leaked into the engine #8 cylinder. Engine would burn it in small quantities. Once it started leaking more, well coolant doesn't compress like vaporized fuel does. Most engines would run for a period after you first started losing coolant and some additive fixes helped some but once you the the crack the end was in sight.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:29 PM

Coolant leaked into the engine #8 cylinder. Engine would burn it in small quantities. Once it started leaking more, well coolant doesn't compress like vaporized fuel does. Most engines would run for a period after you first started losing coolant and some additive fixes helped some but once you the the crack the end was in sight.

my point is, a warranty claim is all well and good for a problem that has already happened.. but considering it is a design flaw, i'm almost sure we could complain to NHTSA if people had documents showing failure... as well as the original documents from GM showing the failure/warranty replacement.

on lotustalk, a large group of members got together regarding a similar issue.. all printed the same letter and signed and sent to NHTSA regarding the issue that was no longer covered under warranty but a design flaw and the NHTSA ruled that it was officially a recall and the manufacturer had to replace said parts regardless of mileage.

considering this is a big flaw, and affects values and has cost owners 15-25k to replace the engine.. would this not be of interest?

-Riley

Last edited by rijowysock; 01-09-2013 at 03:32 AM.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Only a few thousand units built. Many were fixed. Many still don't need the fix. Do you have one? Have you been damages? If not you have not standing. I think you will find very little interest. I replaced an engine in my 98 and have zero interest in participating. This forum is for Hummer owners and enthusiasts, not trial lawyers chasing ambulances.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:28 AM

Only a few thousand units built. Many were fixed. Many still don't need the fix. Do you have one? Have you been damages? If not you have not standing. I think you will find very little interest. I replaced an engine in my 98 and have zero interest in participating. This forum is for Hummer owners and enthusiasts, not trial lawyers chasing ambulances.
I am not a lawyer and I'm not chasing ambulances. Just saying that the product purchased should not include a known design flaw. No owners would profit from the recall. It would just fix vehicles as they should have been when delivered.

I'm sure many would feel more comfortable with an engine they don't feel might give out at any time. You already replaced your engine, good for you what about the hundreds of other vehicles? What is the problem in the warranty issue becoming a recall.

It's clearly a win/win for all parties. Maybe you just woke up on wrong side of bed. It's a concern that needs to be addressed instead of pushed under a rug because "we are too badass to worry about engine failure"

Old 01-09-2013, 03:34 AM

Also FWIW I am affected. As a consumer wishing to purchase an h1. It is the ONLY flaw with the vehicle. Everything else can be fixed but swapping an engine is a massive task costing nearly half te vehicles cost. Getting information regarding old engine swaps. People swapping te wrong motor because its cheaper. All an issue.

If the motor was not an issue. Sourcing and buying a hummer would be no problem and owners would only have to worry about regular Mait instead of keeping a new motor slush fund.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Most people deal with the issue by adjusting what they pay for a vehicle that doesn't have a documented swap. I had a Ford 7.3 Powerstroke that died at 129K. It was out of warranty. Ford didn't offer to participate in the replacement costs. In fact they wanted to charged me 12.5K for a reman. installed. The Powerstroke should last 300-400K miles. I know lots of people that have had their Powerstrokes blow up in the 150K mile range. All well maintained. $hit happens. The point is is a block that was made at the same time as one that failed but it hasn't failed in 100-150K miles defective? The warranty was for a specific set of miles/time. Their was no gauranty that they engine would last 50K, 75K, 150K miles. The guarantee was that it would last until the end of the warranty period.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:45 PM

Jeez if you don't like the mechanical history of the vehicle, then don't buy it. I have owned mine since 2010. It was a 97.5 with 75k on the ticker. I knew that these trucks are labor intensive both from research and 12 years driving them in the army. Mine always has something broke or going to break on it. I enjoy working on it. It's part of the breed. Maybe you should look at a wrangler if you want a turn key, low maintenance vehicle. But in the end....Hummer, like nothing else. Lol

Quick Reply: if the 6.5L has a #8 design flaw.... then why no recall?