PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Ice Road Truckers

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator
Default Ice Road Truckers

Does anybody watch this show? My wife and I are amazed with these guys:

http://www.history.com/minisites/iceroadtruckers

It's the most interesting thing I've seen in a LONG time. I can't believe you can haul 100,000 lbs on a sheet of ice. Pretty awesome stuff.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Ice Road Truckers

Those guys are on the edge dooood. After trying to watch it like 3 times, until a kid or my wife swipes the remote, I found it interesting and entertaining indeed. Obviously, we could Hummer up that road no sweat. I've been on the Lake here last winter, but not for very far or long. Just a quik and cowardly whirl to check the ice fishing scene.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:30 AM

it was interesting at first, but it seemed to get a bit too full of itself trying to become a reality show with manufactured conflicts and drama. those guys have bigger ***** than me though, gotta respect what they do out there. i don't think they get paid enough though.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:32 AM

in the winter i am always driving on the ice the first couple of times each year are nerve wracking but you get braver the more you do it here is a pic from last winter ice fishing ( that is my suburban its rigged up for ice fishing)

[IMG]local://upfiles/1624/377906572F8141A780F561D0FE5D8EB5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1624/1E92CE9978E14A55BC2A8F923DE70299.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Sweet Northern! Those are the funnest fish to catch if you ask me. I've only caught a few thru the ice, and when I do I always feel like I'm pulling in JAWS when they come thru that hole

Old 08-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

When you go out on the ice like that, how do you know your truck won't fall in somewhere? Do you just assume it will be ok?

I found they have their own forum. I already registered

My wife and I thought about maybe in a few years going into trucking. I'm 31 and I think I might be a bit too late. Alot of people say it's not worth it, but we like the idea of it.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

When you go out on the ice like that, how do you know your truck won't fall in somewhere? Do you just assume it will be ok?

My wife and I thought about maybe in a few years going into trucking. I'm 31 and I think I might be a bit too late. Alot of people say it's not worth it, but we like the idea of it.
if there are no tracks from other trucks then i will get out and drill a test hole to see how thick the ice is before i go also do not wear your seat belt in case you need to bale. there is always a chance it could break...........an example, if you drive to fast it creates a wave under the ice and could cause the ice to break from the stress also some years if the weather has been mild or you get alot of snow before the ice has a chance to thicken up it can be dangerous ...............also if there is a strong current under the ice like in a narrows or at the mouth of a river the ice can be weak as well. there are alot of factors to be aware of if you are going to venture on the ice with a truck.

Old 08-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: azz7772

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

if there are no tracks from other trucks then i will get out and drill a test hole to see how thick the ice is before i go also do not wear your seat belt in case you need to bale. there is always a chance it could break...........an example, if you drive to fast it creates a wave under the ice and could cause the ice to break from the stress also some years if the weather has been mild or you get alot of snow before the ice has a chance to thicken up it can be dangerous ...............also if there is a strong current under the ice like in a narrows or at the mouth of a river the ice can be weak as well. there are alot of factors to be aware of if you are going to venture on the ice with a truck.
Amen. On the Great Lakes, gotta watch the wind. On shore can break it up and pile ridges of ice 20-30' high and ain't no nothin gettin over or thru that. Offshore, you could end up in Canada if the sheet doesn't break up. Every spring the Coasties reel em in off the floating sheets? Bottom line, if you do not know what yer doin, stay off the ice. Sheeeoot, I get hinkey just skating around when you hear cracking [sm=smiley5.gif]

Old 08-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Administrator

we also watch this..most of what we watch is on the discovery channel or the history channel...those guys are crazy indeed, but to make almost 60,000 in two months? not bad...

Old 08-21-2007, 06:57 PM

I watch that showand I would be scared to death when you hear the ice cracking beneath you and knowing that you have over 100,000 pounds on 3 feet of ice is a really scary thought. Those people that drive those trucks must be the bravest people on earth.

Quick Reply: Ice Road Truckers