PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

I want to mount some gadgets ...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Laptop GPS Connection

The receiver I use is WAAP compatible. I paid extra money for it because of that, but I don't know if the laptop needs any special software installed to take advantage of it, or if it's built into the receiver, because honestly, I don't know exactly what it does, other then being more accurate.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:01 PM

Hey now..let's not bring in your Italian ancestry into this...

Old 09-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

OOps, I meant WAAS

Sorry dad

Old 09-12-2006, 11:30 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

It was $79 for the USB GPS receiver as compared to $500 to $600 for a decent one that has a tiny screen.
where do you buy that ? on line......any link ? thanks

Old 09-15-2006, 04:40 AM

Ypu guys need to check out Garmin...They have many units that are loaded with all streets for the entire united states. The c330 was only 399.99 at boaters world for awhile. They cam eout with new units that have bluetooth and other stuff not needed. If you want to do the laptop thing get a gps 18 or the new thing that is wireless from garmin...I can tthink of the model. It has a antenna that plugs into your usb port. I have one and it is WAAS capable. I sell this stuff (gps's) for marine applications so I know what I am talking about. If you have any questions message me. The gps 18 works great and you can get on RAM mounts webpage and get laptop mounts like cops use in thier cars. Great application...

http://www.garmin.com/products/sp330/

http://www.garmin.com/products/nuvi/

http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18/

http://www.garmin.com/products/garminmobile10/

Old 11-22-2006, 12:56 AM

Hi folks...
New here, but been "lurking" for a while... Lurking coz we're really considering getting a H3... do some serious off-roading...
which brings me back to this reply, wifey and myself do go off-roads sometimes, nothing serious, but we love navigating in the wild.

Here's the system we use (and recommend):
Teletype GPS (star sirf 3) receiver, bluetooths to our pda which runs the teletype software.
Mike, if you're looking for google earth (aerial photo) type navigation, that's exactly what we do.

Its the only software I've found so far (not that I've looked around for too much) that if you get the add-on premium pack, allows you to download (for free) aerial photos (which we use primarily) and also topo maps from the terra server.

I usually download the aerial photos in real small pieces so as to get the resolution high and when we are travelling in the forests (we're from NJ, off-roading/exploring in the pine barrens), the maps autoload so you travel in the aerial photos rather than the streetmaps... its amazing because most of the forest roads aren't street-mapped but they show up in the aerial photo and you can gauge if they are dense/easy etc. We love it!

Let me know if you need more info, but so far its been working like a charm for us!

Hope I helped you folks out, having gained so much knowledge from this forum, hopefully I can contribute a little back!