PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

I want to mount some gadgets ...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 01:14 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: I want to mount some gadgets ...?

ORIGINAL: AlanH3

That would be great! I'd appreciate seeing the pictures.

I plan to get an iPod adpater that integrates with the factory stereo so you can control it with the radio controls (the one that has been posted on here a bunch of times).

In your experience with the dash, is it easy to break stuff? Like little tabs or whatever?

Thanks,
-Alan
Everything just pulls right off. You have to do it slowly and carefully, but I have popped panels off and on many times and they still to not break. The clips are metal and the snap into plastic slots, and I'm sure over time they will wear out, but if you're careful they till be ok. The panels that come off are on the sides of the dashboards when you open the doors. There is plenty of room to stuff wires between the windshield and the dashboard, but when you get to the end of the dashboard, there is a tab that is part of the plastic molding that holds the tweeters that is in the way, so yo uhave to remove the plastic molding rail that holds the tweeter so you can stuff the wires completely underneath the dash. You will understand it once you do it. Just be careful, because those tweeters only have so much slack in the wiring. You can unclip the connector from the tweeter to take the pillar cover completely off. Like I said, you'll understand when you do it. It's very easy, but just be careful that's all.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:45 AM
Default RE: Laptop GPS Connection

Don't get mad but in my opinion that looks a bit dangerous. Go ahead and spend $500 and get a Tom Tom.

http://www.tomtom.com/index.php?Lid=1

If you mount it to the far left bottom corner then you still have a perfect view out the windshield with little to no obstruction.

Additionally, the touch screen Tom Tom is much safer and easier to use than typing on your dashboard.

Additionally, the Tom Tom is easy to eject from the base and stick in the glove box - I do it nearly every time I leave the vehicle in a crowded place. A computer cost a bunch of dough and entice criminals to break in the vehicle if left visable.

The Tom Tom boots up within 10 seconds and a computer takes a minute or two.

I have used both and this is a no brainer.

In my opinion Tom Tom wins hands down in Safety, Asthetics, and Performance

Just calling it like I see it...

This forum rocks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/902/F8D0521C4C2C403F8AA6735ECBF2533F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-12-2006, 01:55 AM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

Here is my laptop connection. The GPS receiver is in front of the laptop mounted against the window on the dash, and the power and USB cables are integrated into the power of the stereo. I have a very small laptop so it can be opened and closed whenever you want, but it's so small it really doesnt obstruct the view too much.

[IMG]local://upfiles/863/F4A4DEC8C8F240F985C67EF604218DF3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/863/87B55F3C370149E0A17347A890F2597F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/863/BF06B2B6C641426E940157BA5441F66C.jpg[/IMG]
hi, can you post the pic of your gps receiver please...? how is that hook up to the laptop, thanks...

Old 09-12-2006, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

I hear you and understand what you're saying, but here I go

I always wanted a tom tom, but nothing beats having an unlimited database of all of the roads and businesses everywhere in the country that you will possibly need at your fingertips without having to download it. I don't keep it up while I'm driving, unless maybe I'm on clear highway. I only flip up the top once in a while to see where I am. I use the voice navigation to let me know when the turns are coming. Sony just released a widescreen GPS that is actually very nice that I may bet in the spring, but I still prefer my laptop. It was $79 for the USB GPS receiver as compared to $500 to $600 for a decent one that has a tiny screen. I like my 12" screen Even if you do drive with it open, believe it or not you get used to it VERY fast. You really don't loose much visibility as it looks. I don't like driving with it open because it's not safe and who wants to have a screen in the middle of your windshield.

My next project is getting the Verizon PCMCIA cell card for the laptop and buying the Google Earth that supports a GPS receiver. This way I'll be able to stream in the satellite images while I'm driving and see a real overhead view of where I am. I'm looking into that one now ;-) That's more of a toy then anything though, but it's the only enjoyment I have in my busy days

Old 09-12-2006, 11:10 AM

I'm with GEO and I mentioned that at the beginning of this topic..TOO MUCH CRAP ON THE DASH!..I have a Garmin and it has a harddrive fully loaded with every street and back ally in North America on it and it talks you through every turn without letting go of the steering wheel...I think Mike you are a gadget freak and like that NASA look of you rig...KISS is my motto.

Nothing personal though, I still love you Son!

Old 09-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Default RE: I want to mount some gadgets ...?

Hey thanks for posting all the pictures! You have given me some ideas to work with.

It sounds like getting into the dash isn't so bad. If I break anything, I will blame you!

-Alan

Old 09-12-2006, 11:17 AM

Dennis, which model Garmin do you have? Does it come out of the truck easily?

-Alan

Old 09-12-2006, 11:24 AM

This one right here..I love it!

GARMIN

Old 09-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, I am a gadget Freak

I don't like clutter either. If I can now get a GPS that holds data for the entire country as you say, I will gladly get rid of my laptop for that, but still keep the connections there just in case.

I just looked at Crutchfield. I had no idea they had so many GPS units out now. I guess my system is a little outdated ;-) BUt you have to admit, it would be cool to have real-time streaming of satellite imagery on whatever road you are on. I would still like to do that

Can you see how I contradict myself

Alan: I have all kinds of ideas on things to do, but I don't know how to fabricate fiberglass and all that. I'm hoping once I get my house that I'll start getting into that and make some cool mods. If you need help with anything, just let me know.

I'll post a pic of my GPS receiver later. It's hard to take pics in the parking garage i'm parked in at work. I'll try to find a link to it.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:40 AM

Also the GARMIN I mentioned above is WAAS compatable..Your laptop is not..That means the accuracy is within 2 meters or about 6 feet.

Quick Reply: I want to mount some gadgets ...?