PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

I think I made a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 10:34 PM
Default I think I made a mistake

So I think I may have made a big mistake. I bought an 06 h3 in April. I've been noticing a vibration getting worse ever since I got it, its so bad now that it finally got me on here looking for an answer. Now i really don't know a thing about 4 wheel drive vehicles. With that being said, when I bought it it was in 4 wheel lock so I assumed that's where it was supposed to be. But after reading some other threads on here I believe I've been tearing things apart ever since I bought it by having it in 4 lock. Am I right? Is this why the whole thing is vibrating so bad? How much is this gonna cost me? How long should I expect to have it in the shop? Sounds like I'm not the only one who's done it. Thanks

Old 01-07-2016, 02:28 AM

It should be in 4wd high in normal driving conditions. Is that causing the vib ?? not for sure but I would guess the front drive line joint is shot and causing the vib. Is there any noises or when turning in a tight turn will the truck bind up and slow down/most of the time the damage is done to the front drive line and tcase . cost all depends on the damage done. could be 500 to 3000

Old 01-07-2016, 07:26 AM
Cool

Hindsight is always 20/20 but you may want to spend some time reading the owner's manual and get a better understanding of how to operate the 4WD system. As far as the vibration goes, my guess is something is obviously worn out. Vibrations usually happen in the drivetrain axles, u joints; grinding and whining noises come from trans and transfer case and hubs.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:54 PM

If you drove around with the difflock engaged on the road you will do damage to both diffs and the t case. The vibration is mostly coming most likely coming from your diff or a twisted drive shaft. I would change the diff oil and if the oil comes out glittery (Metal sparkles) then you know you have diff damage. I would check the drive shaft and carrier bearing. If it it loose that will cause a vibration it gets worse the faster you drive. I would also change the tcase oil and look for glitter.
Good thing its not a h1 or you could have damaged the wheel hubs.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:04 PM

Well thanks for the replies. I found the problem the other day. The u joint on the back of the drive shaft was completely out. Don't know how I missed it before because I looked at it not to long ago as the same thing happened to my jeep commander a year ago. It sounds great now since I changed it but hopefully the other things you guys talked about are ok

Old 12-28-2016, 10:29 PM

Did anything else happen with the car after you've got it fixed? Sometimes the simplest things give rise to the biggest troubles hey? Best to get things checked out by a proper mechanic if you're still worried!