PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

I Need Your Expert Advice on Modifying The Stereo in my 2007 H3

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Default I Need Your Expert Advice on Modifying The Stereo in my 2007 H3

My 2007 H3 has factory Navigation, XM, and 1 CD in the dash.
I took it to a local stereo shop to add a 10-disc Sony changer that I already have (to be installed in the back) and they told me it wasn't possible as there is no compatible wiring currently on the market.
So I need your help. From what I've read, you guys are very knowledgeable when it comes to electronics. What are my options?

I'd love a CD changer in the dash, but I do not want to forfeit the Navigation.
I can spend around $800 or so, plus possibly sell the system that's in it if necessary.
They told me about the MP3 option and said everybody's going to that instead of CD changers. I'm not interested in downloading music all the time. I'd rather stick with my CD's.
I have a Sony CD Player that I really like, that can have up to 10 components added to it, but then what happens to the navigation system, and where would the Sony fit in the dash?
Can someone recommend a nice system (with navigation or in addition to the one I have)? I don't care about the XM radio, although Sirius(sp?) interests me and I've read my current factory radio can be converted to Sirius.
So, if you brilliant ones could give me some feedback I'd be incredibly grateful.
Thanks so much

Old 11-29-2006, 10:58 PM
Default RE: I Need Your Expert Advice on Modifying The Stereo in my 2007 H3

ORIGINAL: Sabrinat1

My 2007 H3 has factory Navigation, XM, and 1 CD in the dash.
I took it to a local stereo shop to add a 10-disc Sony changer that I already have (to be installed in the back) and they told me it wasn't possible as there is no compatible wiring currently on the market.
So I need your help. From what I've read, you guys are very knowledgeable when it comes to electronics. What are my options?

I'd love a CD changer in the dash, but I do not want to forfeit the Navigation.
I can spend around $800 or so, plus possibly sell the system that's in it if necessary.
They told me about the MP3 option and said everybody's going to that instead of CD changers. I'm not interested in downloading music all the time. I'd rather stick with my CD's.
I have a Sony CD Player that I really like, that can have up to 10 components added to it, but then what happens to the navigation system, and where would the Sony fit in the dash?
Can someone recommend a nice system (with navigation or in addition to the one I have)? I don't care about the XM radio, although Sirius(sp?) interests me and I've read my current factory radio can be converted to Sirius.
So, if you brilliant ones could give me some feedback I'd be incredibly grateful.
Thanks so much

Have the XM removed and the GM Sirius converter installed; take the remaining $ and put it towards a Catback exhaust -- you'll have music inside and out. Then have a nice pint of GUINNESS [sm=icon_guiness.gif]

Old 12-01-2006, 01:05 AM

Anybody else?

Old 12-01-2006, 02:44 PM

If your looking for an expert, you won't find any here.[sm=joke.gif]

Old 12-01-2006, 03:23 PM

Depends on your budget I guess ... I know there are a couple of universal CD changers you can add on to an existing system. I have NO idea of how good they are but I do believe they use FM modulation so you just tune your radio to the freq. the FM mod is broadcasting on. Certainly not a great solution, or even good in my opinion, but then again, I have a blind hatred for FM mod

You could always replace the HU with for example a Pioneer or Eclipse head unit with built in navigation .. you'll have a lot more options as far as CD changer goes and they are controllable from the HU itself. You're looking at some bucks though :/ In all honesty if I was in the position I think I'd go the MP3 player route myself, it's by far the easiest way to get it done plus you can carry far more music with you

Old 12-01-2006, 03:29 PM

ORIGINAL: ZYNE

Depends on your budget I guess ... I know there are a couple of universal CD changers you can add on to an existing system. I have NO idea of how good they are but I do believe they use FM modulation so you just tune your radio to the freq. the FM mod is broadcasting on. Certainly not a great solution, or even good in my opinion, but then again, I have a blind hatred for FM mod

You could always replace the HU with for example a Pioneer or Eclipse head unit with built in navigation .. you'll have a lot more options as far as CD changer goes and they are controllable from the HU itself. You're looking at some bucks though :/ In all honesty if I was in the position I think I'd go the MP3 player route myself, it's by far the easiest way to get it done plus you can carry far more music with you
Impressive. I stand corrected.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:38 PM

Crutchfield has a couple of 10 disk Sony changers, $149.99 and $199.99. They both have a controle module you can mount on the dash near your radio and they both use FM modulation as a means to play it through your factory system.

Here's the link, http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ghqB6xg...sp?g=610&avf=N

I would probably go with the $199.99 changer as it plays MP3's on CD's as well. The cheaper of the two will let you play burned CD's but not MP3's.

Hope this helps a bit ...

Old 12-04-2006, 07:24 PM

ask and you shall receive:
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/genmotgm.html

these are coverters to use a kenwood or pioneer changer with your factory Head unit....you'll need to buy a new changer but you can integrate it into your stock HU without the crappy noise distrortion that an FM modulator will give you.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:05 AM

Nice find doode! I actually tried to search for the same thing but came up with zilch.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Sabrinat1

Anybody else?
I'm insulted.

I think a Guinness always sounds nice. [sm=icon_guiness.gif]