PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

I was in a major fatal accident last night

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:37 AM

Glad you walked away from it. Terrible to hear about the biker.

The main reason I got my H3 here in Dubai is because people drive like lunatics. Its nice to be able to off road etc, but its even nicer to know you've got a strong metal box around you.

People seem to ignore any thought of road safety until something like this happens. Drunk driving isn't an issue here (as a muslim country there is zero tolerance for it) but i see people all the time talking on their mobiles or not wearing seat belts, and the general standard of driving is very poor (tailgating, undertaking, changing lanes without indicating, wrong lanes at roundabout resulting in cutting other drivers up).

But perhaps the worst thing I see is children unrestrained in cars - the Arabs and Indians in particular don't seem to bother restraining their kids at all, so you see toddlers jumping up and down on the back seat, and no special child seats. As and when they have an accident, those kids are going to be dead for sure. I couldn't drive with the distraction of a kid jumping around either.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:25 AM

I was almost hit one block from there on my way into work this morning. Barbur is the most dangerous stretch of my commute and there are few, if any alternate routes.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:10 AM

I feel bad for you, there was nothing you could have done except slowed down before you left the last place you were and even that doesn't always work. Seconds make a huge difference. So sorry about the Biker too.... I hate it cost his life. My wife will not let me have a motorcycle and that is that... You take it easy....

Old 08-17-2011, 04:44 AM

Wow! Thanks for sharing and sorry that you had such a terrible accident. I've always thought that the ONE THING that determines survivability in a crash is the mass of your vehicle versus the mass of what you hit. I saw an accident where a young woman pulled out from a side street without looking and was T-boned by an Escalade. She was killed and they literally had to remove the roof of the Camry to extract her body. The Escalade sustained light damage and I'm quite sure was driven from the accident scene. A tragedy for sure, but at least the person who had no control over the situation (i.e. the Escalade who had the right of way) didn't bear the burden of someone else's careless driving.

Again, thanks for sharing and glad to hear that you're safe.