PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

I made something else!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 07:42 AM
Default RE: I made something else!

The H1 model took a long time becuase I would work on in between doing other projects. Had to glue up alot of wood stock to get thickness so that takes time. It was a total of 2 months of on/off again time, if I had to guess actual labor time was around 60 hours with the staining, sanding, cutting all the pieces out and than making the jigs so that all the tires came out uniformed. Had to make a seperate jig for the rims, also. The wheels work so you can push it around.There are around 187 pieces that had to be cut out and formed into what you see.The H3 fretwork only took 3/4 days of work around 12 hours of labor.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:02 AM

Very Impressive!!!

Old 08-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

A few hours ago I got a chance to see this thing in person. I even got to touch/hold it.

The pictures do not do it any justice. On all levels this model is better than it appears in the pictures. The craftmanship is nothing less than what a true professional would create....

Old 08-20-2007, 09:12 AM

ORIGINAL: Muddydawg75

A few hours ago I got a chance to see this thing in person. I even got to touch/hold it.

The pictures do not do it any justice. On all levels this model is better than it appears in the pictures. The craftmanship is nothing less than what a true professional would create....
Oh man, I'm really go get it...let the jokes begin.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:50 AM

Nice work, when are you planning on doing the H2?

Old 08-20-2007, 03:25 PM

Going to be starting it real soon should take about 6 weeks to finish. I'll keep you posted.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Trey124

ORIGINAL: Muddydawg75

Oh man, I'm really go get it...let the jokes begin.
OK, so, I'll start

So Muddy, you got a chance to see his thing in person and touch and hold it huh? Was it as hard as it appears to be in the picture?

Old 08-21-2007, 08:12 AM

[sm=signs007.gif]

Old 08-21-2007, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Well Trey, in all seriousness, I can truely appreciate how much time and patience you have to do something like this. When I was a kid, I was addicted to building models. I had a model of every fighter jet and sports car you possibly imagine, but creating something like this from scratch amazes me, and it's so proportional to the real thing. 60 hours is ALOT of time to spend on something like this. Don't you ever get burned out doing it? All I can say is I thought my little do-hickeys and gadgets were OK, but your work makes my stuff look like crap

I really think you could make this a niche market for yourself. I know you say you do it for fun or as a hobby, buy why not exploit the talent you have and make some money from it. That doesn't mean every single piece you have to sell, but I would bet there are people willing to pay alot of money for wood replicas of just about anything.

I think your next project should be to build a real driveable wooden car like this one:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/japan/woo...000-282423.php

Old 08-21-2007, 11:52 AM

HummerGuy;
Thanks for your comments, I do commision work. ( If anyone wants something I'll do it for them). One of these days I'll get a website up and running, I find that people don't understand how much time and effort that goes into my work, everything is handcrafted. That usually scares people away, now mind you I don't charge what I should. But people balk at the price, but for the fretwork pieces where else can you get custom work for $100. I don't make that much off of it, but I like to share my artwork with other people. I wouldn't even know how much to charge for the H1. I will say this I'm making the H2 for MuddyDawg75 so I'm keeping a running total for the materials and that way I can figure out how much it really cost me and than him. That wooden car is cool but no way will I try that, I know my limits! Hey if you do run into those people that would pay anything for a replica send them my way...lol.

Quick Reply: I made something else!