PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

I have a serious IP address question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Default I have a serious IP address question

How does one person using the same computer get multiple IP addy's? I was looking around in the admin software at streetglow and for chits and giggles I looked up my info. In my 700 posts I have used 42 different IP addy' and I always use the same computer on the same internet connection...how does that happen?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Administrator
Default RE: I have a serious IP address question

what type of connection do you use?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:21 AM

I am on DSL using a wireless secured network. I am always on my network, I check all the time. There is one guy on that board that has 2700 posts and has used 181 different IP addy's. As a matter of fact I checked about 15 different guys and they all had multiple ip addy's...so how the hell am I supposed to ban anyone if everybody has multiple ip addy's...doesn't make sense to me.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

I'll try to keep this simple.

Computer networks lease IP address's to each computer on their network. The lease typically lasts 3 days, which is an IT industry standard, unless otherwise set for longer or shorter by the network administrators.

It's called DHCP. Your home router has options for lease times for IP addresses. The providers do this so you can't host a web site or file downloading site from your home. Changing your IP address every few days makes it almost impossible to host something since the location will always be changing.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:27 PM

but in effect it also makes it almost impossible to ban someone...cause all your doing when you ban a member (at least with their admin software) is you put a filter on that members IP address so that that IP addy won't be allowed to enter the site...just like the bad language filter doesn't allow you to type ****. I can ban the member name and emaill addy but that stuff can be changed easy too....this sucks.

Patrick...got any tricks for me?

Old 02-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Yes. You are right. What you would have to do is ban the entire range of IPs, like 192.168.1.xxx through 192.168.1.xxx because the lease will usually give out another address in that same range. The range may also include just the first 192.168.xxx.xxx IF you do that though, you are also banning anybody in that area or network connection that gets an ip address from that range.

The IP address's for the same user should all be in the same range. If you have a user that has a 10.34.5.6 address, then the next time they get a new IP address, they should get maybe 10.34.5.23 or x.x.x.8 It's VERY rare you will ever see the entire range of IP address's change, unless like me, they are accessing the site from different physical locations, such as home, work and let's say Staryuppybucks. Then the entire range will be different.

Also, there is a free site called http://proxy.org/that allows you to use their site to go to the web site you are trying to get through using a different network. They have a group of networks on their site and basically it's just a pass-through from you to another network other then yours, so it makes it look like you are coming in from a completely different network, which you are, but still at the same physical location.

You follow me?

Old 02-06-2008, 01:12 PM

yea, I follow...very nice explanation. SO I am just going to have to ban the entire ip range that that member uses..I noticed that only the last set of numbers changed in his ip...except for the one dude that has like 180 different nes...they are almost al unique.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Then he is probably using www.proxy.org or a similar site if he is intentionally trying to mask his identity. No network should be handing out so many random IPs.

Just remember, if you ban an entire range, anybody in that nieghborhood that tries to get to the site will be denied access. You have a possible 254 ip addresses in one specific range. That could cover a few miles depending on what network everybody is on.

What I would do is ban their username, and whenever a new user joins, check the IP address and see if it falls in the same range as the guy you banned. If it does, you know it's him. It's more work, but you won't ban an entire city

Old 02-06-2008, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

I have a great proxy that I use if needed... I paid a chunk for it and it is unbannable...

Old 02-06-2008, 05:43 PM

wonderful....don't visit streetglow...thanks

Quick Reply: I have a serious IP address question