PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

I gots a problem and looking for help

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Default I gots a problem and looking for help

So here's the story,

Yesterday I drove to my friends, about 70KMs from my place, finished installing the overhead and grille lights, with Jay's advice. While we were doing the wiring, i decided to also change the plugs and wires for the new ones I bought, NGK Plugs and Taylor thunder Volts wires, I decided to start on Cylinder 7 as it looked tough at the back and pointed towards the truck, after screwing around with it and not being able to get to it other then from inside the wheel well, I had my buddy help with lots of extensions and a 1/2 ratchet, we tried to loosen the plug, it wasn't going anywhere, so I said screw this, I just changed the wires, finished the wires and I was on my way home, lights all working great and new wires on, plugs I figured i would have the dealer deal with later. Anyways as I was driving home, the truck started to misfire and the check engine light kept flashing, the truck was running like crap.
So when I got home i first checked all the wires, maybe I had not put them on tight, not sure, but they were all good, so i changed them back to factory AC delco ones, that I had took off earlier, still no good, now check engine light on constant.
Getting p1$$ed i called it a night and said I will let dealer figure it out! I took it in to the dealer, Queensway in Toronto, at 7:30am est and now it is 9:00pm est and I still have no truck and they have no Idea. They tried to tell me it was to do with my after market compustar remote starer and how it was installed. They said this but I have had the starter for over a few months now without issue, I am sure it has to do with the plug but they are saying that maybe the starter screwed the ECM because of the way it was wired, I have no clue but that sounds fishy!
So anyways the check engine lights reads as misfire in cylinder 7 and 8, they say they checked the wires and swapped them around but no change, they did a compression test on cylinder 8 and it passed but cylinder seven was too late as they need to lift the truck up to test. They have no tried to flash computer mem or anything else, the mechanic is stuck on this being the starter caused it and saying that it may have screwed the ecm somehow.

Anyone ever hear of this or do you all think that it maybe still be that damn plug we may have tried to get out, maybe we cracked it? Would that impact the cylinder 8 too??

Old 04-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: I gots a problem and looking for help

I guess you cracked the spark plug insulator. However, it should have misfired from the begining right after you messed with it if you cracked it.

One time, several years ago I cracked a spark plug on a GMC just enough that it did run ok until it got hot and finished the slight invisible crack I started, but that is not how it usually gos. [&o]

When you do a mod, involving wiring, do one at a time and test everything after that is done before starting the next mod. That way you can reverse what you just did to get rid of the problem. I do not know what you did when wiring the lights, and starting on the plugs/wires before making sure the light wiring did not cause a problem mixes the two together as possible electrical causes?

Please post back and let us know what you find out from the dealer.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:35 PM

thanks doc, not sure how the light wiring could cause it but maybe, ****!!, I will keep you posted, let me know if you think of anything, sorry for the extended long post!

Old 04-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not either, but these new computer brained vehicles get freeked out by all kinds a stuff???? Tamper with voltage somewhere in the right circuit, and all of a sudden there is somethin not right. Codes, rough idle/running, who knows?

Old 04-21-2008, 09:38 PM

it does pi$$ me off, I should have learned! Anyways we will have to see what the dealer ends up saying.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:12 PM

You cracked the plugs on the rear. Everyone usually does it.

Do this:

TAKE OFF THE WHEEL WELL TUBS. You have easy access to the plugs n wires there.

Those plug wires are crap. Honestly. You have Random Multiple Misfire in the computer stored. P0300 or P0301 P0302 etc depending on what cylinder.

If I would have known you were doing plugs n wires I would have thrown you a free set of NGK TR6 plugs (8 + 1 if you break one) and a set of JBA 0855 wires. I always kept a set around in case.

Dont go to the dealer.

You can fix it easily.

Gap the plugs correctly and NEVER EVER EVER use extensions or universals on plug sockets.

You have my # so give me a call if you need help.

________
buy extreme vaporizer

Last edited by jaydcc69; 02-10-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:14 PM

I just realized you said you went to the dealer -

Get a TOTALLY NEW SET OF WIRES and NGK TR6 plugs. If your truck isnt modified (nitrous, supercharger) and doesnt detonate from crappy fuel in hot weather then use NGK TR55
________
suzuki world rally team

Last edited by jaydcc69; 02-10-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:26 PM

Hey Derick. Just read your post. I don,t think the wires are your problem. I think you probably damaged the plug in the back. When I changed my plugs and wires I had to remove the inner fender well on the passenger side as I couldn,t reach the plug. I think when you get the plugs changed you will be ok. Let me know if you need any help.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:43 AM

calling dealer now......

Old 04-22-2008, 07:45 AM

voicemail again...... getting pi$$ed

Quick Reply: I gots a problem and looking for help