PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

I FINALLY GOT MY H3 BACK! WOOHOO!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: The Verdict is in! NOTHING IS WRONG?!?!?!

ORIGINAL: Scottrod

My '07 5-speed only has 2800 miles, but I will see if I can get it to do anything like you are saying with the jerking while slowing and starting. That sounds to me like worn u-joints or something in the driveshafts. I don't know what transfer case the H3's use, maybe his talk of wear in the case gears will turn into a recall? Then you will have another trip to the dealer to look forward to! Good luck with all of this!
Thanks man. I can guarantee you it won't happen with yours. They said they checked the U-joints and nothing was wrong. I've already decided what I'm going to do. I'm going to head to the Indiana Badlands with a friend and beat the hell out of the drivetrain. THEN when something goes REALLy wrong, they can't say it's not broke

Old 02-01-2007, 04:05 PM

You have an earlier 06 correct? I remember awhile back hearing about a problem where t-cases that were bad. In the earlier models the company that gm outsourced the t-cases from left some lapping compund inside the t-case. If you got one of those bad cases then that could be your problem. I think one of the symptoms of the bad cases was slipping.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

I wonder why nobody at the dealers ever told me this before. Shouldn't they know this? That would explain alot

Old 02-01-2007, 05:05 PM

they should know about it I think there was a PI out for it, but I may be wrong about the PI. Here is what I was told was the problem on early model t-cases:

Mike the problem with the transfer cases was quite simple, Eaton left lapping compound on the gearset and this cause excessive wear.

Also most problems arose around 10,000-18,000 miles but you aren't that far over,mileage wise. I would have it checked out, the dealer can tell by your vin range if yours could be affected, similiar to the head problems.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: importkiller

they should know about it I think there was a PI out for it, but I may be wrong about the PI. Here is what I was told was the problem on early model t-cases:

Mike the problem with the transfer cases was quite simple, Eaton left lapping compound on the gearset and this cause excessive wear.

Also most problems arose around 10,000-18,000 miles but you aren't that far over,mileage wise. I would have it checked out, the dealer can tell by your vin range if yours could be affected, similiar to the head problems.
That's when it started happening, but got worse after I torqued the wheels too far during a turn. That sure sounds like the problem to me. Was there a TSB number for it? I need to look into this. My manufacture date was something like August '06 I believe.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:56 PM

I don't think there was ever a TSB issued for it and if your was built in aug. 2006 I think you are past the problem range. Are you sure your date of manu. was august of 2006? You joined here before your h3 was built?

Anywho, tell your dealer to hook up the chassis ears to the t-case and take it for a ride, they will be able to hear noises caused by worn gears or any other problem that may be in the t-case. Every chevy dealer has a set and they know what they are so don't let them bullchit you!!

Old 02-01-2007, 10:05 PM

Importkiller is right, they used the chassis ears on mine and BINGO! When they put them on the front diff it sounded like maracas in thier ears!

Old 02-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator

Well, here's the verdict:

"The Belt Tensioner was weak causing premature belt wear and noise. Diagnosed noise and replaced belt tensioner and belt"

OK, FIRST OFF,Don't you think they should have been able to tell by looking at the belt that it was prematurely worn, even if it DID NOT make a noise? At first they told me nothing was wrong and that they checked the alignment on all of the pullies, until I went to pick it up and the noise was happening right in front of me. They DID put a new belt and pully on, and I visually verified that. The engine makes alot less noise now for sure.

Now the brake problem:

"Possible slightly extended pedal travel necessary for slight worn brake lining. Road tested and inspected brake lining and brake fluid level"

In THIS case, I don't know what they did, but the brakes are noticably more stiff then they were when I brought it in, and they were not squishy at all pulling out of my garage today, and it was 8 degrees this morning. I drove 45 miles to work this morning, and the brakes felt great. I topped off the brake fluid before I brought it in, but noticed it was dirty. The fluid is now clean, so maybe they changed it. I thought it would have been on the invoice.

And, the BIG issue with my jerking issue:

"Unable to duplicate customer consern. Possible Driveline slack and normal clutch wear. Test drove and inspected drivelines, checked clutch fluid level and scanned for codes."

The interesting part about this is when I picked the truck up from the dealer last night, it was idling really rough for about 20 minutes, the SAME way it idled when I put the reprogrammed PCM(s) in my truck before and after the tune. I wonder if they reprogrammed the PCM and didn't put it on the invoice. I'm not really sure but it doesn't seem to have the same spunk it had (but then again, I was driving a loaner for almost 4 days that was twice as fast, so it could just be paranoia). I REALLY don't feel like sending back in my PCM to be reprogrammed again. I may just do so though. I'll drive it for a few days and see how it feels. I wish there was a way to find out!

So, two of the three problems seemed to be resolved so far, but I'm not sure about the mechanical drivetrain. They DID say they put the "ears" to the differential and it sounded ok.

ImportKiller: I told him about the T-Case issue, and he knew all about it. He said the problem with that was that something inside would break, and it caused the car to not be able to shift into locked mode or push power to the front wheels. It basically turned the H3 into a rear-wheel drive-only car. He knew exactly what you were talking about though.

SO, I think I'm going to have to use HummerMike's power of persuasion at his dealer and next time I'm in the area, have THEM use the microphone and see if they hear anything. All I know is I'm kinda sick of all this and I really don't think I'm going to be taking it in for anything.

SO, I called Mike last night and told him I want to go to the Badlands in Indiana which is a huge off-road park, and want to do it in the next few weeks. I figure, if something is going to break, it will surely break there, and then nobody can tell me there isn't a problem

They did do a FULL detail job on my H3, and damn it looks good now

Old 02-02-2007, 11:37 AM

I'll be willing to bet they reflashed the PCM...Maybe since you're such buddy, buddy with Alvin, he'll give you a deal on another reprogram.

You never mentioned above if the jerkyness went away since the dealer had it...The reprogram of Alvin's may have been the cause. since he took out the idle setting that kept the high idle while shifting..you even mentioned this yourself earlier as to your suspicions as to the jerkyness..So if you get yours Reprogrammed again, maybe leave that idle featue alone this time.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Well, the problem is still there. It's not as violent as it was, but then again, I did not hit any stop and go traffic on the way to work today. The true test will be on the way home when I hit the bad traffic. I did reproduce it though and it still does it.

Part of the PCMforLess deal is that if they dealer ever reprograms your PCM, you can get it reprogrammed back for free. I'm going to have to talk to them about it. I may not even get it reprogrammed if it means the problem goes away. I don't know yet. That's kindaa tough decision after everything I went through. I'm going to give it a week, and see how it feels.It could also be that since the belt was probably slipping, it was causing problems with the engine doing things that could have caused some excessive torque when letting up on the gas. It sure did feel different today.