PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

I can't believe I'm saying this, but...........

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Default RE: I can't believe I'm saying this, but...........

ORIGINAL: Gunner_45

Good luck.

From one IT guy to another, you MUST keep those skill sets up to date and go for the
one's that are geographically stable (immune to out-sourcing/off-shoring). It’s tough, but
worth it in the long run. Now see what you can do about getting them to pay for it---

Regards,

Gunner
Ain't that the bloody truth!!!Wish I could get work to pay for my CCIE too ... that way I can get that done and then leave the company and go elsewhere with some really good certs backing me up :-) LOL!!!!!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:22 PM

They will pay for my paper, but I have to sign a two year agreement and a one year non-compete clause(or some such ****).........

My problem is time and never ending projects. 80+ hours this past week and the next two dont look any better. How in the
hell are you supposed to get training in with a schedule like that? I'm almost ready to ask my wife for a job in one of her
cleaning establishments----

There would be plenty of Hummer time then.........

Old 04-11-2007, 06:25 PM

I feel you there brother! Trying my damndest to get out of the IT industry as a whole myself .. the long days, the work at home bit, the on-call crap, it will never end in our industry once you get to this spot. Personally I'm fed up with it .. it doesn't leave any room for private life and you're expected to drop everything in case you're needed. Hell, I don't even remember what a vacation without cell phone, laptop, and constant calls feels like. Wouldn't mind experiencing that again!!!!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:32 PM

Well, if the gloom and doom forcasters are right, we won't have to make the decision to leave the industry. Someone else will do it for us.

Our old AS400 legacy programmers must feel real good everytime the walk past that damn "Sleeper Cell" Perot Systems sent us.

And.....I **** you not.....one of the dudes has a collection of comercial jet models in his freakin' cube ! ! ! !

Politically correct or not......that gang of three creeps me the hell out.....But..... they ARE some code writing bastards.

Old 04-11-2007, 06:36 PM

Good For You MIKE!!!!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Gunner_45

Well, if the gloom and doom forcasters are right, we won't have to make the decision to leave the industry. Someone else will do it for us.

Our old AS400 legacy programmers must feel real good everytime the walk past that damn "Sleeper Cell" Perot Systems sent us.

And.....I **** you not.....one of the dudes has a collection of comercial jet models in his freakin' cube ! ! ! !

Politically correct or not......that gang of three creeps me the hell out.....But..... they ARE some code writing bastards.

Bwahahaha ... yeah, our programmers have the same problem migrating to Oracle ... pretty amusing to watch actually. I dunno about no jet models but quite a few folks have similar stuff here .. The guys in our space dept of course have satellite models, space shuttles, etc .. Infrared side of things you see mostly weapon models and camera mock ups. One of the marketing guys have a scale replica of a Stinger missile on his desk (we make parts of it) ... I'll stick to my die cast models and my pictures instead :-) Got a couple of plaques from the Petty driving experience and of couse my time slips framed and hanging but that's about it ....don't get that whole going over board thing ... lol

Old 04-11-2007, 06:55 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

Oh I know. Our HD is out-sourced (what a joke). I have A+, N+, MCP, and my ***. degree, but Cisco is the way to go these days. I barely remember any of my networking stuff and I used to be so sharp in that. I should have stayed that route instead of Level 2. I appreciate the info though. ZYNE is a network guru also.
I don;t think you'll have any problems. As Zyne says, the Cisco stuff is actually pretty easy. I look after heaps of it too, and just had to learn it on my own. Once I started reading the exam guides and stuff, it all seemed pretty straight forward if you have a good understanding of network principles. Congrats on this new challenge and good luck!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:55 PM

Damn ! ! ! Not only did we highjack the man's thread, we dumped buckets and barrels of woe and despair all over it.

ZYNE....You and I are bad people. (or at least I feel that way)

sorry dude..

Old 04-11-2007, 07:37 PM

Nahh, don't be ... LOL! Iknow I'm bad people most of the time lol ... at least the self realization bit here makes it easier LOL! And yes, we did do that didn't we!:? Sorry Bro .. hijacked another one :-)

Old 04-11-2007, 07:38 PM

GOOD for you Mikey...and good luck! I went to school as an adult as well...well er um I just never stopped going LOL...just kept changin my mind (that and working fulltime and going at night most of the time AND moving from state to state) made me a career student for quite a fewyears LOL. You can duuuuuu it!

Quick Reply: I can't believe I'm saying this, but...........