PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

I-5 vs Alpha offroad question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 02:38 AM
Default RE: I-5 vs Alpha offroad question...

ORIGINAL: importkiller

I was reading an article on the new land cruiser (I think it was the LC) anyway, there's a three position switch on the dash next to the 4x4 buttons. The switch has 3 settings, each one limits the speed to whatever you want for the situation your in, one is a crawl, then a little faster and a little faster yet. Just put the switch where you want it and mash the gas and the truck gets full torque but will not go above the speed setting your locked into...pretty soon a monkey will be able to wheel with the best of em...sad.
I think I've got one of those switches on the console ofmy 3, but mine has 1-5 and the always exciting "R".

Old 01-20-2008, 02:04 PM

funny but...nope, not the same thing. This is actually called a Crawl limit dial...it limits crawl speed to 3,2,or 1 km depending on the switch setting.....no tranny in the world has that tye of precision speed control....thats when driver skill and braking come into play..not with the cruiser...just hit the gas and the truck does everything for you. Actually you don't even need to hit the gas...once the brake is released the truck will automatically get up to the speed that the crawl setting is set to.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:47 AM

So which is better to offroad, the I-5 or the Alpha? I-5 would be better in hard offroad conditions (big rocks, slops) it would slip less than the alpha unless giving it the right amount of gas but i am pretty sure the alpha will win like rally wise (mud, water, dirt) right?

Old 01-31-2008, 07:55 AM

Does both vehicles have the adventure package? Were the lockers engaged during this obstacle? That will make a big difference.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:23 AM

ORIGINAL: II_deuce

So which is better to offroad, the I-5 or the Alpha? I-5 would be better in hard offroad conditions (big rocks, slops) it would slip less than the alpha unless giving it the right amount of gas but i am pretty sure the alpha will win like rally wise (mud, water, dirt) right?
I can tell you what 4wheeler magazine said....."any serious off road wheeler will get the i-5 over the alpha because the alpha is not available in a manual trans" (paraphrasing quote) ....but besides that I don't think either have an advantage over the other.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:04 AM

I've defended the I 5 unitl I was blue in the face. Aparently on the wrong post, so I'll say it here. Yes the Alpha has more horse power. Yes the Alpha has more torque. Yes it has a better power to weight ratio. That means it does better off road right? Well what about the fact that it gives up most if not all of it's power advantage at low speeds because it has a lot less gear. I think that is the biggest difference. I'm not going to do the math here, but if you break out a calculator and start mutiplying the gear ratio of each vehicle, by the first and econd gear ratio, and then by the low range gear ratio, you will see exactly what I'm talking about. The I5's 4.56 gears make up for a lot.