PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hummer vs Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:18 AM

Same with me, owned every Jeep worth owning up to and including the JK Rubicon. My H3 is great for traveling around the state and work in the mountains where my job takes me. The V8 auto really makes it nice compared to the V6 in the Rubicon, which requires a person to keep dropping down gears going up the hills. Most of the time I end up in third gear with the pedal to the floor to make it over the top. Otherwise, sans the water leaks, I love the Rubicon and H3 equally as well.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Smile

I took my H3 to do a recovery on a Jeep a couple weekends ago, the guy actucally video taped it from his phone, because he could not believe a H3 would bebale to do it let alone make it... On the flip side I have also had to get a tug here and there on some off camber waterfalls, but I can say I have towed and rescued alot fo Jeeps, Chevys, Toyotas and one Unimog (I won't mention) when he broke his portal. lol, I never had to do a Hummer recovery yet.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by H3Traverse
Well guys, I'm sure some of it has to come be animosity from Hummer basically stealing the front 7 slot grill design from Jeep. ? I mean, that's a Jeep icon, and for another manufacturer to design something similar is well, a conversation starter to say the least. ?
Ever seen an original humvee? Same exact grill. It's a hummer heritage. Besides, as was already mentioned am general owned both.

Originally Posted by Bayrat
Same with me, owned every Jeep worth owning up to and including the JK Rubicon. My H3 is great for traveling around the state and work in the mountains where my job takes me. The V8 auto really makes it nice compared to the V6 in the Rubicon, which requires a person to keep dropping down gears going up the hills. Most of the time I end up in third gear with the pedal to the floor to make it over the top. Otherwise, sans the water leaks, I love the Rubicon and H3 equally as well.
Where in upstate NY? I'm in Orchard Park, have a buddy a mile down the road (on this website and cho) w/ tires and a winch, and another guy in rochester with h3's

Now on to the OP's question.
Look online at Jeep vs H3 comparisons; 9 times out of 10 I've seen the H3 winning. The reason the H3 has been beating the jeeps in the publications I've read is it's basically the same animal offroad as the jeep but 100x more comfortable offroad and 150x more comfortable onroad. And by comfort I mean suitable for everyday life. And most of these comparisons i've read are on the base model h3, not the adventure.

To the guy talking about the jeep sucking in water into the intake.. I've seen that on a 6" lifted, 35" tires wrangler w/ the i6. I had a bone stock Land Rover Discovery SE7, and made it thru this water hole about 2 dozen times without effort...

..the wrangler made it about 7 times until he locked his motor in the middle of the hole.

And another neat wrangler story. Just 2 weekends ago me and my buddy with his 3" lift/35" tires f150 were out at a local pond-site (about 3 HUGE ponds) offroading because my buddy knows the farmer. We're in some ballsdeep mud having fun, when a guy with a newer wrangler x 6spd (i looked inside and saw it) pulled up. He started laughing and joking saying if we need a tow he'll stick around. I said we'll be good, and told him we had plenty of chains and straps if he wanted to give the hole a run.

He drove away 5 minutes later.

Last edited by 85_305; 06-27-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:34 PM

i also have 08 h3 and 08 jk sahara 4 dr.. i haven't measured but i but i believe the interior of the h3 has more room including behind the rear seat. To me the jk is more comfortable as i find h3 seat to close to floor. off roading if equipped the same, i find them to be equal. jeepers tend to bash hummers more than hummers bash jeeps. now , i don't offroad like i did in the seventies but, i don,t care what you drive, if you wheel long enough and hard enough, you will eventually need to be pulled out something. for now they are just vehicle that get threw everything the weather can throw at us and get through. this also includes my not so easy to get to fishing spots. forgot to say the advantage for summer fun goes to jk as roof and doors come off.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:02 PM

Your going to find this no matter what you drive. The cool people on the trial just like the fact that you are there and don't car about what your in. I've met Jeep guys that hated my truck and some that loved it. I like TJ's and YJ's and I've not a fan of JK's but I'm not going to tell some JK owner he can't follow or that I can't yank him out of a hole. Some people care what they drive and the rest of us are just human.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:45 PM

I owned a JK wrangler and head lots of fun in the sun, top down doors off. I had 33 MTZ. I loved the way it looked. I had to get rid of because of the new addition to the fam. My 5 year old daughter and my 3year old neice loved it. I couldnt put the car seat in the back seat so I to get something that we all could get into. I never thought that I would've gotten an H3.

Attached Thumbnails Hummer vs Jeep-07-wrangler.jpg   Hummer vs Jeep-32107-driveway.jpg   Hummer vs Jeep-downsized_0715081400.jpg   Hummer vs Jeep-downsized_0715081400a.jpg  
Old 11-04-2010, 11:22 PM

is it possible to take a jeep body and put it on a hummer frame????

Old 11-05-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by 2wheelmonster
is it possible to take a jeep body and put it on a hummer frame????
Oh...oh god...why would you ever want to do that?

Old 11-06-2010, 11:25 PM

I've owned a Cherokee, a grand Cherokee, and now my H3. They're all fun vehicles, but I like that there are so many people that see the Hummer as a "status" vehicle. I've had a couple people ask me what I do for a living, like it's a 60K truck. After driving both, I think either can hold their own offroad, but the Hummer is obviously a little more upscale than the Jeeps. Though the new Grand Cherokee is pretty sweet I have to admit. I'm anxious to see what kind of #'s the new SRT8 will put down.