PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hummer vs Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Default Hummer vs Jeep

Hey guys I'm new to the Hummer world, and I love my 07 H3, but I have to ask, is there a competition or "war" with the Jeep world? I've been noticing bumper stickers and window stickers bashing Hummer's and they're all on Jeep vehicles....is it me ??? thanks in advance.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:35 PM

Well as the owner of both an H3 and a Wrangler, I see some animosity from both sides. IMHO, it's foolish posturing. Jeepers seem to be a bit more inclined to bash Hummers than vice versa. Part of that may come from some poorly informed Hummer owners who think that their stock base model Hummer can go anywhere that Jeep Rubicon can. Part of it comes from the desire to explain the allure of the uncomfortable.

The Wrangler, properly equipped is a boatload of fun offroad. Soft top available, tubular doors, etc. Huge variety of aftermarket toys. But it's kind of noisy and rides like a buckboard. BTW, the 4dr Wrangler has not just more cargo room than the H3 but a lot more.

The H3, again properly equipped, absolutely holds its own offroad. Still a lot of fun to drive in the mud, muck, and rocks. But a whole lot more civilized and comfortable ride.

So as I see it the situation is not one or the other - both have their place. For me, if the trip is to go somewhere that involves driving offroad I'll probably take the H3. If the trip is primarily to go driving offroad, just for the sake of offroading I'll probably take the Wrangler especially if the weather looks good for topless/doorless operation.

But that's me. Others will have different and equally valid opinions.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:57 PM

Owner of a previous Jeep Cherokee and it was very comparable to the H3. Had it's own capabilities, but the H3 just feels more aggressive and more desiring to take it offroad. The Wranglers are cool and has some really great things about it, but I would never buy one over a Hummer.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:11 PM

I don't think it's fair to compare the H3 with the Wrangler. The Wrangler is much smaller and can maneuver through tighter areas off road. The H3 is much larger and has a lot more comfort; which is why I think if it's going to be compared to a Jeep, it should be compared to a Grand Cherokee.

Plus I never see a base stock Wrangler being compared to a base stock H3, because there is no comparison. But I guess there is the price difference, and if you put $8000 worth of off road mods in a base Wrangler it would be better than a base H3 once they're equally valued.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:09 AM

I work with a guy who has an 09 4 door wrangler. Within 1 month of his purchase he sucked water into the intake from a 12" puddle and smoked his engine. When I got my H3, he checked it out and he was visibly irritated/envious, don't know which or why. But since then I have taken a few opportunites to remind him if he ever finds himself stuck in 12" of water again he can call me and I'll come rescue him. lol Doesn't explain the perceived competition, but i sure get a chuckle from his expression when i make that comment.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:06 PM

Well guys, I'm sure some of it has to come be animosity from Hummer basically stealing the front 7 slot grill design from Jeep. ? I mean, that's a Jeep icon, and for another manufacturer to design something similar is well, a conversation starter to say the least. ?

Old 05-16-2010, 11:21 PM

I have owned three jeeps over the years and on my first hummer, No comparison. All of my jeeps were a blast and went where I wanted but ride rough, air noise, cold in the winter etc.... The hummer still gets me where I want to go off road but in much better style and gets lots more head turns than all the jeeps runnin round

Old 05-16-2010, 11:35 PM

It's pretty obvious just by simply looking at their physical aspects HUMMER is way better let alone driving it even off road.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:35 PM

I think it is more freindly ribbing than anything, I wheel with Jeeps... they wheel with me.

There are a few hard core guys in our local Jeep club who ONLY wheel with Jeeps... but they hate everything else equally.

Hummers always end up as the butt of Jeep jokes though.

Originally Posted by H3Traverse
Well guys, I'm sure some of it has to come be animosity from Hummer basically stealing the front 7 slot grill design from Jeep. ? I mean, that's a Jeep icon, and for another manufacturer to design something similar is well, a conversation starter to say the least. ?

Who made Jeep?
Answer: AM General

Who made Hummer?
Answer: AM General

Why shouldn't they both have 7-slot grills? Same orgin.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 05-17-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 04:50 PM

I've wheeled with mostly Jeeps since no one around my neck of the woods wheel their Hummers. Everyonce and awhile I'll see some Toyotas. In the beginning the guys I wheel with would crack a smart *** comment about my h3 and its capability, but now not so much unless its an new guy. The reason was they never went wheeling with them and the ones they do see never see a trail. The one thing I do envy in the 4 door wranger is the solid frond axle compared to our ifs. If I only wanted a weekend off roader I would have opted for the wrangler however this is my daily driver so I went with some comfort.

Quick Reply: Hummer vs Jeep