PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

HUMMER to be phased out indefinitely

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 06:49 AM
Banned
Default the volt will die

i predicted that b4 its grand opening.
its an idiotic idea.
it costs more than a hummer and its a lawn mower with doors.
if it gets 35 mpg on gas they should just throw out the batt and electric motor to cut cost and WEIGHT ang boost mpg.

the only value to an electric is using electric braking to reclaim energy to recharge batt,but,,,that will never buy enough mileage to pay for the hardware on each wheel,,or the expensive,heavy batt.

down the road,elect cars will work when we have free nuke power,,and those same sicko leftists aint gonna do that.
meantime we have a hundred year supply of oil waiting to be used.
as PALIN says,,drill baby drill!!

FORD should buy hummer

Old 12-20-2010, 08:25 AM

If Hummer was doomed for the reasons you suggest, so is every other large vehicle. My H3 produces a steady 17-20 mpg highway in the summer, less in the winter. Most larger vehicles that can tow more than a ton are similar in mileage. I have to believe that if the brand were not demonized and shut down, that it would have received the same technological advances and redesign as the other large vehicles to comply with mileage requirements. Hopefully what you say is not so or we can say goodbye to Jeep as well.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:52 AM

They are. Have you not seen what is happening in the car market?

Old 12-20-2010, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by NIUPonyBoy
I am sure the moron lefties had a hand in the death of Hummer, but Hummer was born and catered to a group of us that are simply not going to be able to sustain the brand. With the Obama-depression and the Congressional Gas taxes it was simply inevitable that the brand was going to die, the American car and truck buying tendencies has completely changed. Who would have thought 5-10 years ago a "hybrid" would be something the American people would want, and a purely electric car like the Volt would actually be mass produced. I'm not brain-dead so I won't ever be wasting my money on something as moronic as either of those, but they are out there now, would a Hybrid Hummer have sold? Perhaps, but not likely to the core people the brand was marketed to. With the change in the world, it was inevitable the brand would die, it was written on the wall the day the brand rolled out.
Reputation, deserved or not, is hard to overcome. Hybrids are not good for the environment compared to similar gas/diesel powered cars. The premium for a hybrid more than makes up for whatever small amount of gas savings you get from better mpg for most people. Hummers get a bad rap, but big trucks and other big SUVs not nearly as much.

The Volt is not an electric only vehicle. It CAN be if you don't go on any long drives, and you recharge the battery by plugging it in, but unlike other hybrids it's gas engine is used to recharge the battery, not help power the wheels. I'm not a fan of the vehicle or the price, but for the most part I do like the tech behind it. I think a small diesel engine would make more sense, but again you go back to that whole reputation thing...

Honestly, for the mall crawlers who never plan to go offroad a Hummer is not a great choice.

Old 12-20-2010, 02:02 PM

Look at the American public, they will take whatever moronic nonsense they are feed.

Hybrids are good, mmmkay.

Intact they are the exact opposite, they are far worse for the environment than the straight pipes on that old Chevelle at the drag strip.

But big cars and trucks are on the way out. It's just part of the change in American car tastes.

Almost all big cars and trucks are dying off.

And my H3 is only ever going to be a mall crawler DD. I wouldn't take it off road unless it was the only home.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by NIUPonyBoy
...my H3 is only ever going to be a mall crawler DD. I wouldn't take it off road unless it was the only home.
Please explain to us how/why it is that you ended up with an H3.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:07 PM

It's a comfortable DD with 4wd and I like the styling of it.

Last edited by NIUPonyBoy; 12-20-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:12 AM
Banned

But big cars and trucks are on the way out. It's just part of the change in American car taste
ahhh, where i live and drive,,(usa),,i see mini vans and trucks, and, some cars. btw in one month ford sold 125,000 f150.

toyota tundra is there because ford is still selling a few f150. i heard 73% of chrysler sales were truck related.

it sounds like charging the volt is like running 180 100 watt incandessant lights,but,but, were told we need to use funny mercury lites to save electricity, but,but they also say the electric industry will not be overloaded while charging millions of "volts". oh whats a mother to do!!

oh i know,we can use free nuke energy,oops , cant build them either,

I KNOW,WE CAN BUILD HUNDREDS OF AIRCRAFT CARRIERS AND PARK THEM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY AND RUN EXTENSION CORDS,CAUSE, HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A PROBLEM WITH NUKE POWERED BOATS??!!

i think gubment should give free electric to volt owners,,to free up gas for trucks

Old 12-21-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
ahhh, where i live and drive,,(usa),,i see mini vans and trucks, and, some cars. btw in one month ford sold 125,000 f150.

toyota tundra is there because ford is still selling a few f150. i heard 73% of chrysler sales were truck related.

it sounds like charging the volt is like running 180 100 watt incandessant lights,but,but, were told we need to use funny mercury lites to save electricity, but,but they also say the electric industry will not be overloaded while charging millions of "volts". oh whats a mother to do!!

oh i know,we can use free nuke energy,oops , cant build them either,

I KNOW,WE CAN BUILD HUNDREDS OF AIRCRAFT CARRIERS AND PARK THEM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY AND RUN EXTENSION CORDS,CAUSE, HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF A PROBLEM WITH NUKE POWERED BOATS??!!

i think gubment should give free electric to volt owners,,to free up gas for trucks
The "gubments" money is our money. Folks have seemed to forgotten that. I really don't want to pay for their "fuel" as well as the rebate they are already getting.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Banned

joke,, free electric to volt owners,,to free up gas for trucks,,joke
btw theres already an overstock of volts at the "select"dealers given the luxury of handling them so ifn u want a piece of short term auto history u better grab one afor there gone for good.

and they will go

oh,,this just in,,". The federal government sank $50 billion into GM as part of the broader rescue of the auto industry, giving taxpayers a majority stake in the nation's largest auto company." i sure feel good knowing we have a stake in this gallant ad-venture.

the math,double chek me. 50bn. 1 million volts. that would b equivalent to $50000/volt. should b able to give em away..

50bn, i dont think ford needed any and is doing ok

BTW,,,mileage??volt 40 miles/charge and they say for $1.50/charge.80 miles for $3.00. thats like 80 mpg. sounds incredibly spectacular to me.... then they say it cost $2000 for a 240 v quik 4hr charger. first,the 2000 bucks blows away ANY POSSIBILITY OF SAVINGS!!! on fuel. 2000 buys a lot of 3$ gas. but if it takes a special outlet it must take a lot of "juice" and that cant be as cheap as they say.are they foolin some people all the time,,,or all people some time???

its a hoax joke

Last edited by drtom; 12-21-2010 at 12:15 PM.