PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

hummer offroad capability (hummer -v- jeep, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 12:18 AM
Default RE: hummer offroad capability (hummer -v- jeep, etc.)

i hope everybody realizes i post this in good fun. But it is almost awe-inspiring to me the waves in society that the H2 has generated, when all it is from an environmental standpoint is just anothe rmassive SUV, and all it is from an off-road standpoint is somebodies pretty-darn-good (it seems) attempt to make a combo luxury/off-road capable beast (unlike the h1 or the wrangler, which are only 1/2 of that equation with no real attempt at all at the other half)

the escalde is a combo lux SUV/sports car, sort of. it drives like a car and the '07s are faster than heck.

oh, and wranglers have another category of common drivers, perhaps the direct equivalent to the dreaded "soccer mom". outside of young guys who drive 'em to be out and be seen, and get beer, they seem to have a certain following among young ladies who perhaps drive them for reasons other than hardcore offroading?

in fact, i'd wager about the same percentage of Wranglers and Hummers hit the hardcore trails. and i don't think that the feared "soccer mom" is really any worse than the frat boy of Wrangler-driveage, just different. in fact, i don't think either are bad at all & they're welcome to take ride in le hummus whitimus any old day.

silly stuff, all this hummer hate. i do think its resulted in the H2 being the single most underrated vehicle currently available for sale, though, so that's kind of cool.

Old 05-16-2006, 12:52 AM

Greenblade-I went off-roading for the first time Sat. I went to a place that is not for the novice(like myself)but it was close. I only knew the wife of one of the jeep owners. There were 4 jeeps in the party. The 4 Jeep owners were nothing but nice to me, they all took turns riding with me a giving me instuctions. They were more careful with my truck than I was. They treated it as if it was there own. They all loved the Hummer, couldn't believe how well equiped and well built it was. They said the only thing missing was mud tires and if it would have had those it could go anywhere. I got stuck twice they said due to the tires not self cleaning but IMO due to the drive not having a clue(that would be me). They took pics. They're probably all over the internet by now(Jeep pulls Hummer out!). So I agree with Flexline, put a Jeep owner behind the wheel of a Hummer and they fall in love!

Old 05-16-2006, 01:16 AM

Oh and none of them would have taken their new vehicle down there(guess that makes me stupid or nuts).[sm=drooldude.gif]

None of their Jeeps were stock.

The Jeeps got stuck also!

Old 05-16-2006, 04:00 AM

that's a cool story, retnuh, and i'm sure the vast majority of jeep offroaders are nice chaps.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:43 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Greenbl

its just sad that there are... 100s, dozens, of threads/articles/sites by jeepers devoted to hummer hate. who has time for all that animosity? get a second job, post less hummer hate, have $$$ for hummer.

I agree. Most of the threads I have read state somewhere that the author "has sat in a Hummer" or "seen one at the dealer". Take it with a grain of salt.

Good luck finding a place to go off road and I hope you find some cool people to go with you. It is a lot of fun.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:19 AM

well ,my hummer experiance is limited to millitary models,i drove that thing places nothing should have gone...balanced on front left and rear right tires crossing a deep crevus/revine in colorado...for years now i'v had a toyota fj 40 land cruiser(jeep body style )that thing goes just about any where ,and my yukon 9in lift 35 in tires locker in front posi in rear (pull f250's out at pismo all the time)

But to my horse power is over rated torqe is the answer to everything..... my fj40 is still running the original axels motor and oem three speed..... the rpm' drop way down and just creeps along...

my yukon is a thing of the past...traded it in on our '06 H3....have not taken it out yet but will soon.....

if anyone wants to test theres out and see what truck/rigs do what the best....join us in central ca. just above shaver lake (bald mountain) will be our base camp family event 4x4him jamboree aug 25-27

Old 05-17-2006, 05:16 AM

i'd love to join you guys in a central cali thing, but i'm in the upper midwest. [:@]

Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 PM

Im not a hummer owner, just looking for some parts (hood grille), but i came across this thread and all I want to say is...

I think they both have their places..... but,

1) stock vs. stock, I know an H1 and maybe the rest of the hummer family would beat a jeep.
2) If you want to compare prices though, $60k for a stock vehicle or $20k for a jeep...
3) And that $20k jeep with $40k worth of upgrades, and there isn't a hummer that would be able to touch it....

just my $.02!

Old 02-01-2008, 12:21 AM
Super Moderator

This thread has been repeated many, many times. The enlightened owners of all of the brands know the relative merits of the other vehicles. With the right tires and a good driver they are all very good off road vehicles and each does something better than the others. Lots off us have had Jeeps, Blazers, Broncos, 4x4 trucks, Hummers etc. and had a blast in them all. Out of them all I would take the H1 over any of the rest. Then it gets real close between the Jeep Rubicon and the H2 for off roading but if the Rubi was going to have to be my everyday driver the H2 would win hands down. The H3 is as good as anything else out there. I have never had an FJ or 4 runner so I can't comment much on those. Main thing is get out there and have fun and enjoy what you drive.

Old 02-01-2008, 06:50 AM

ORIGINAL: 3hummers

This thread has been repeated many, many times. The enlightened owners of all of the brands know the relative merits of the other vehicles. With the right tires and a good driver they are all very good off road vehicles and each does something better than the others. Lots off us have had Jeeps, Blazers, Broncos, 4x4 trucks, Hummers etc. and had a blast in them all. Out of them all I would take the H1 over any of the rest. Then it gets real close between the Jeep Rubicon and the H2 for off roading but if the Rubi was going to have to be my everyday driver the H2 would win hands down. The H3 is as good as anything else out there. I have never had an FJ or 4 runner so I can't comment much on those. Main thing is get out there and have fun and enjoy what you drive.
Couldn't have siad it better, just get out there and drive. We all share the desire to drive off road so can't we all get along.

Quick Reply: hummer offroad capability (hummer -v- jeep, etc.)