PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hummer H3 Transmission Issue Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 05:59 PM
Post Hummer H3 Transmission Issue Need Help

anybody know what could be wrong with my 2006 h3? the transmission will sometimes not shift into 4rth until the car is shut of and restarted. It will also get stuck in a gear while hitting bumps on the backroads for instances like 3rd gear and wont shift until restart the vehicle. Car has 151k miles and tranny fluid was changed at 120k. I have checked transmission level and looked at fluid color. No burning smells and it doesn't shift hard or slip. When it wont shift into 4rth the gears bog out and does not want to down shift until I step on the gas more. I'm hoping this is a bad ground or something simple. I also want to mentioned I had issues with the key ignition around 130k miles if that has something to do with this issue.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

No need for repeated duplicate posts....

Might want to look at the other recent post on this topic also at the front of the board. https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...-50-mph-35666/

When they do not hold lockup, it most likely means rebuild time.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds

Might want to look at the other recent post on this topic also at the front of the board. https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...-50-mph-35666/

Hi Doc can you give me some approximate cost of a new trans and a rebuild one??

Thanks

Old 08-11-2015, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by eksreytek
Hi Doc can you give me some approximate cost of a new trans and a rebuild one??

Thanks
That is all influenced by your local economy, on the East and West coasts, you'll pay more than in the heartland. In Detroit, a rebuild with standard OEM parts and a 90 day warranty is about $1750.

Whenever rebuild time rolls around, I usually go with heavy duty aftermarket parts in a few areas, which boosts the costs, but I think its worth it.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:41 PM
rsc

Originally Posted by Doc Olds

I think Hummerblu's problem is electrical not necessarily the transmission needing a rebuild. I remember seeing a chart of all the causes and symptoms a few months back, maybe I can find it again. Maybe the TCC solenoid going bad?

Last edited by rsc; 08-11-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:32 PM

Hello everyone sorry for the duplicate posts new to the site. I talked with my friend who is a GM certified mechanic and he ran me through a bunch of different causes to this problem. My issue ended up being my amp and subwoofers robbing my system. I also had a cold air intake that I put on the same time I hooked up my system. I removed both and it runs perfect again. If anyone adds in a system watch for issues like this cause it may be the problem. Also read that the cold air intake is bad for dusty roads and for my engine because I have the little 3.5l and it doesn't help getting dust in the engine. Didn't really notice a difference in performance either with cold air intake just stick with an aftermarket exhaust.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:19 PM

are you saying the amp,,,,caused the tranny problem???
id love to know how

Old 08-14-2015, 07:01 PM

There are two bolts in fuse box and I tagged my amp cord onto the hot wire. Which in return was drawing power from my electrics. I did not put the amp directly to the battery. When I unhooked my system and drove on the same routes and tried to recreate the issue it wouldn't do it anymore. I hooked up the amp and subs back up the same way again today drove the same roads and it messed up my cars shifting. Did this to make sure it was the problem and not my transmission failing