PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Hummer brand may be discontinued!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Default Hummer brand may be discontinued!

Say it is not so!!
Does not look good for Hummer [:-]
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080603/...m_shareholders

Old 06-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Hummer brand may be discontinued!

That is one of many options GM is looking into to cut their exposure to the truck and SUV market, which is in the tank right now. Given the "Best in Category" status of Hummer and its recent move to the Premium brands division I hope it would be harder for GM to discontinue or sell Hummer. Like the Corvette it may not be a big money maker but what else does GM do better than anyone else?

Old 06-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Wouldn't that be something. [&o] I guess the phrase "Like Nothing Else" would take on a whole new meaning. Better keep your Hummers in good mechanical shape. [&o]

I wonder if they will even release the HX now.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:25 AM

What's the resale value going to be now that even GM doesn't want a HUMMER?

Old 06-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Who knows, but I would bet most people don't buy a Hummer based on the resale value. At least I didn't. You kinda assume responsibility when you buy something you know will suck gas like a cyclone.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:32 AM

Here is the resale value at the dealer, a late 2006 H3 20K miles, fully loaded leather, chrome, ect $18,000. How do I know you may ask? I was just there last week. Last month Hurd hummer in RI sold 2 Hummers all month.
E-Bay is not much better the average selling price has been around 20K

Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 AM

I can't speak for elsewhere in the country but in Western New York the H3 population has skyrocketed. The area is heavy with GM and former GM workers which may be some of the reason. With Hummer getting so much good press for a change it may be GMs thought that it is a good time to sell.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:01 AM
CWS

Rumor has it that GM will sell HUMMER to the Mercedes Smart Car division. Changes planned for 2011 :

Introducing the HUMMette.

Cliff

Old 06-03-2008, 10:10 AM

It is all relative. The market has turned so bad with housing and cars that GM has to do something. I don't think they will stop production right away, they might slow down production significantly, but I don't think they will kill it completely. Especially with how many versions they are trying to make with alternative fuels in the Hummer. Imagine if GM becomes the first automaker to make a big SUV that can get big MPG, sales will sky rocket. The problem is: getting there. The U.S. people love their SUVs, and they should...they are fun to drive, they just have to be economical as well.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:34 AM

I was looking on Ebay yesterday, and was surprised at what the h3 alphas were listed for. The values aren't on NADA or KBB yet so I was curious what the market was. Most of the low mile Alphas were in the 34-37k range. Not bad considering the current market conditions.

Quick Reply: Hummer brand may be discontinued!