PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

How is your Hummer for reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:48 PM

27k miles and NO issues on an '08.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by stonemiser
I'm also a member of a Ford Sport Trac forum and let me tell you, if read through there, you'd never consider buying one. I've had my Sport Trac since 2003 and have only had the normal wear and tear problems with it. Every vehicle has it's problems, you just have to go with what you like better. My wife and I love our H3. Hands down, one of the best vehicles we have owned. No problems with it.

Very good point about all vehicles have their problems and it's funny you said that because my mom has a 2004 Ford Sport Trac with 105,000 miles on it, and only thing she had done was a ball joint changed at 95,000, so yeah I guess a lot has to do with how you take care of them too.

Last edited by lance70; 09-03-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by joewcob3
18 months of ownership and nothing major.

Issues:
I had a bad leaf spring -- it creaked when the vehicle went over large bumps.

I had a body mount that popped every now and then -- added some high friction rubber material to insulate it and it has been perfect since (did that myself)

I had the turn signal stalk replace -- it clicked like there was something loose, but still worked fine....new stalk is perfect....very tight and nothing sounds loose.

These issues were minor and I felt that they were only minor annoyances. I am a very picky person and will take a vehicle in for any little imperfection...I like everything to be just so. I have had NO squeeks or rattles from the interior of the vehicle. After 16,000 miles it is still runs & smells like new. I did complain about the rear leaf springs creaking on this forum until the dealer fixed them. Every time i turn the key, it starts.....I would consider my vehicle 100% reliable.

The only complaint I would have about this vehicle is the tires during winter driving. I am either getting a set of Bridgestone Dualer Revo 2's or a set of Firestone Destination A/T's this month to help with that.

This vehicle is much better built than my friend's Fj Cruiser or my other friend's Ridgeline. My buddy's Fj has been in for a transfer case failure at 5000 miles while we were up in northern michigan skiing. His Fj also has quite a few squeeks coming from his door trim in the cold weather. He has a rattle in the rear trim that the dealer cannot find -- they say they don't hear anything. So much for Toyota's famed quality -- bad transfer case that took 2 weeks to fix and many squeeks and rattles.

My other friends Ridgeline is already developing rust along the hem flange on all 4 doors. The Honda dealer won't touch it....it's not rust through yet. His interior is also junk -- the fit and finish of his panels (especially the instrument panel) is horrible. Parts just don't line up right and there are many rattles after 1 year of ownership. The door to the hidden compartment in the rear bed also doesn't work right -- never has.

They both think my H3 is far superior to their vehicles. My buddy with the Fj is thinking about selling his Fj and getting an Alpha H3.

That's awesome! lol yeah I had to laugh a little about the Toyota having issues because so many people say they are the best, the H3 sounds like a great vehicle to me.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:23 PM

I believe that Toyota's quality is mostly "preceived" by the media and the public. I think that the build quality of the H3 is better than most cars/trucks because of the way people beat on their H3s and they still run great. Even the interiors hold up to resisting squeeks and rattles after multiple off-roading trips.

The ridgeline is basically a joke --- I have not seen to many guys driving them....mostly women (that really gets under my buddy's skin when I tell him that). The ridgeline is just a glorified CUV.

If anyone is concerned about the reliability of a used H3, just get the VIN and take it to a Hummer dealer and have them look up the service record for warranty issues.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:40 AM

Lance, dont let my response change your decision at all. At 660 miles, my 09 H3 suffered Transmission problems. The eng. lite came on while on the way to work. i dropped it off at the hummer dealer and they did the Diag. check. It was powertrain failure due to a defective torque converter. A new one was installed, the tranny completely flushed and i have since put 5600 miles on it with no problems. guess i just got one with a bad part installed. it has not been in the shop since except for oil changes. I'm still glad i got one and wouldnt hesitate to buy another one!

Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 PM

My 2006 H3 has been far more reliable than the Jeep Grand Cherokee and my Wrangler that it replaced. The Jeeps were nothing but trouble and lucky I had an extended warranty or I would be broke by now. The Grand Cherokee needed a new rear differential at 28,000, exhaust manifold cracked (dealer said,"oh we've seen that before"), water pump at 20,000, leaking radiator also, electrical problems the dealer could never find ( windows, gauges, AC would not work all of a sudden which was a major problem when it was 105 degrees outside), the Jeeps were just nightmares where as the H3 has everything working 100% and it goes where the Jeeps would not (35" tires help with the ground clearance)...
If they stop making the Hummer brand I will have to buy a Jeep again but I hope that will never happen. As far as looks the H3 won an Industrial Design award for the design of its interior and the exterior is pure function and will be as dated as a F16.