PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

How Do I Terminate OnStar Service?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Default How Do I Terminate OnStar Service?

I just bought my Hummer H3 yesterday from a private seller and I wanted to know how I can terminate the service and I don't want them to be able to track me after I cancel the service. Below is a link to the article about it. How can I do that?
OnStar plans to track users even after disconnecting service - Yahoo! News

Old 09-24-2011, 09:00 PM

Pull the center console and unplug the connectors and antenna from the box under the radio.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by talusfan
Pull the center console and unplug the connectors and antenna from the box under the radio.
Do you have any photos or a video I can watch how to do that. Thanks.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:55 PM

No but it is a big box under the radio that you can't miss, couple connectors and the antenna connector. You will lose xm radio and bluetooth if you have them though.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:48 PM

I would like to get rid of the onstar also.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Banned
Default REPLACE ONSTAR with Argos or Bluestar...

TSLEVIN, in reply to your Onstar question..

I got a letter from onstar that includes their policy changes... they are giving themselves the right collect data in whatever fashion or category they so desire AND to sell your info to third parties, do basically what ever they want with the data they collect, of course they say there is no personally identifiable info...(ok sure)

I believe they are driven by GPS marketing goals, you are driving by a store and they call and tell you about the special of the day, they will eventually incorporate RFID tagging into the systems and when you drive to Kragen the O'Reilly rep will call you... LOL.. it's all about how much $$$ they can get from each account and big dollars are made in real time data... cash cow gold mine $$$.

I am looking into a replacement because I use the phone system, the systems are 250-300 and are plug and play that let you use a bluetooth capable phone to program their replacement system so phone system works just like with Onstar except you entirely disconnect the the Onstar din cables and plug those into the new system... You will lose the data collection and tracking, You will also lose the Emergency Services that are called automatically when a crash is detected or airbags deploy.. or you have a medical emergency or need police help, so its a trade off BUT you also loose the 20 bucks a month for the onstar service, and you also loose the 10 per month for the additional line, it just uses your bluetooth phone minutes.. works with any blue-tooth enabled cellular phone from what I have been reading on the sellers websites...

I was digging into the repair of the HVAC BLOWER on my 2007 H3(easy fix) and I can see where the onstar box is located... can't be that hard to get too..(famous last words).

It has been on my mind since reading the policy changes in store..so I posted a thread about it titled replace onstar..

Here is a good reason to be concerned about privacy issues... www.tonyrogers.com/news/onstar.htm as the article says the Courts will not protect you..!!

Originally Posted by TSLevin95
I just bought my Hummer H3 yesterday from a private seller and I wanted to know how I can terminate the service and I don't want them to be able to track me after I cancel the service. Below is a link to the article about it. How can I do that?
OnStar plans to track users even after disconnecting service - Yahoo! News

Old 09-26-2011, 01:47 AM
Banned

Anybody got any tips for pulling the center console to get at the on-star modem...?
I am thinking of putting in the Bluestar System which is a plug and play into the existing on-star connectors and lets you use your blutooth cell phone on the on-star phone features, speakers, mic, etc.. I just did the HVAC Blower fiix, so now I know exactly where the on-star modem is.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Katphish
Anybody got any tips for pulling the center console to get at the on-star modem...?
I am thinking of putting in the Bluestar System which is a plug and play into the existing on-star connectors and lets you use your blutooth cell phone on the on-star phone features, speakers, mic, etc.. I just did the HVAC Blower fiix, so now I know exactly where the on-star modem is.
Can you post a link to the bluestar system?

Old 09-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Banned
Old 09-26-2011, 01:49 PM

I would recommend contacting OnStar Customer Assistance at 888-466-7827. They are the best resource to get information about the policy changes and to let you know if there is an option to opt out. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Quick Reply: How Do I Terminate OnStar Service?